Pulsing Xenia Removal

janaya

My tank is being overrun by Pulsing Xenia. I talked to my local LFS and they will give me store credit for it. I don't want to remove it all just thin it up a bit. Any ideas on how to remove it gently?

David Shaw

Pulsing Xenia likes slightly "dirty" water. I found when i got my nitrates to zero it all died off. I am sure i read on here that people frag it, so hopefully someone will chime in for you.

tnwillia

Sorry, I've been trying to get it out of my tank for 3 years now. There really is no thinning it out it will grow back and spread. My only real solution has been to take the complete rock out, scrub it clean then let it dry out for a few months on the porch before cleaning again and putting the rock back in. You can peel them off the rock but they have to be big enough to get a good hold on the stalk. The catch here is if any piece of the Xenia no matter how small gets loose and floats off you will have a new growth where ever it lands in a month. Again, removing the rock is the "hard" but sure option. If your LFS wants it ask if he will replace your rock with a "clean" dry/live rock, all they can do is say no. Good luck!

GlassMunky

cut off the pieces you want, and then blowtorch the rock where the stalk connected so that part wont grow back

tnwillia

Nope, I tried that too but maybe it will work for you. I list Xenia & GSP with cockroaches that will srtill be thriving after a Nuke attack. Good luck!

janaya

Oh Hell. I have GSP also, but that seems to be staying in check for the most part. I was able to remove some of the Xenia and I carefully applied some Aiptasia X, so only time will tell.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I do like eric and use scissors to snip off stalks and then attach them to rock/plugs etc. Also if you want to create a sustainable system to where it's easy to harvest put one of your Xenia rocks against the glass to where the Xenia can touch and will grow up the glass. Then you use a razorblade to scrape it off then it's super easy to attach and sell, Sell, SELL! I did this for a couple of years until I took that tank down for good.

Laxman05

Aight here is a solution that will help you out... I have had xenias for years and have been selling them as a starter coral. I have used many tools but by far the best is a Fish hook remover for flyfishing etc. These are like a small pair of plyers will "teeth".. The teeth basically give a good grip on these things. You literally can "pull off" the stalk and all basically like you are pulling a snail off of glass. I have used tweezers but depending how tight they are fastened to the rock somethings its more of a mess. The forcept plyers look like a long nose Gar. You will be amazed how easy and clean you can pull these guys off rocks. Clean as in pulling these guys off with absolutely no residue of the xenia on the rock for it to regrow! -------> Directions; take the plyers and pinch the xenia at its lowest point on its stalk pull in a (left or right) direction and there you go.

EricTheRed

I Also if you want to create a sustainable system to where it's easy to harvest put one of your Xenia rocks against the glass to where the Xenia can touch and will grow up the glass.

Like this ? These are actually older pics. I let the stalks completely cover the back right half of the tank before i scrapped 'em off. I gave them to some local reefers who were just starting out.

img_2273.jpg

img_2266.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yep it grows VERY well on the glass. I had it growing on all 4 sides in my 10g frag tank. Made scraping it and attaching to rock a breeze.