Pulsing Xenia How to control there spread?

ChitownRomeo

Just got a small frag of Waving hand pulsing Xenia. I mounted the frag on a seperate rock. How do I control it cause it's getting huge!!

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
trim it back often once it gets the size you want. Other than that, there's really no way. Even that may not work. I've heard Xenia can grow like weeds. so while they are pretty, they wont be appearing in my tanks.

theplantman

When I had it in my first set up, I had a pair of aquarium tongs and once every two weeks used them to pull the excess off the rock work.

ReefApprentice

Put the rock in a closed container...Or just trim it OFTEN . If it looks like its going to split frag that piece off, heal it and then sell it. Got mime as a tiny polyp(stalk)and now its about 7 different colonies all are huge.

jsgarrido

i just had some one offer me some nice white pulsing xenia but now i dont even know if i should get some :tears:
i really like them .. would the green star polyps grow like weeds as well?

AC273

Xenia are not that bad. I look at it like this... you mow your grass and trim you shrubs when you have a house, so what's the big deal about trimming your Xenia. I have walking Xenia and just removed a large colony from a rock it wasn't suppose to be on. They come off pretty easy.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I haven't had the problem with Xenia, but I have had the problem with Anthelia. I used the pickling lime mixture that I use for Aptasia on it, if I could peel it off the rock.