Protien Skimmers?

lcstorc

There are as many opinions as there are skimmers. First do you want a hob skimmer or an in sump skimmer? Generally they say to buy a skimmer rated for double your water volume since most manufacturers overrate their skimmers. For brand personally I like ASM, but then again that is all I have used. The skimmer is one of the most important parts of your reef system so it is not the place to skimp. Buy more than you think you need.

danfish

i have a asm g3 in my 120gal and very happy with it , you can go
with the g3 or g2 depends on you bio load, i bought my g3 on ebay
for $255.00 w/ free shipping

kyle1284

lcstorc said:
There are as many opinions as there are skimmers. First do you want a hob skimmer or an in sump skimmer? Generally they say to buy a skimmer rated for double your water volume since most manufacturers overrate their skimmers. For brand personally I like ASM, but then again that is all I have used. The skimmer is one of the most important parts of your reef system so it is not the place to skimp. Buy more than you think you need.
agreed! i have a remora pro and that sucker pulls the darkest goo outta my tank its amazing... my hair algae is almost gone completely and my zoo's seem to be opening up much more just make sure u dont go cheep on a skimmer
remember THERE IS NO SHORTCUT TO ANY PLACE WORTH GOING! let us know what u ended up with! :thumbup:

With an 80G tank you would be much better off with a sump. There are far better in-sump skimmers available than anything you can buy that hangs on the back of your tank. EuroReef, Deltec, Aqua-C, and ETSS are some of the brands you might consider. Go with something that is rated for more than an 80G tank though. Maybe something in the 120-180G range.

There are lots of other benefits to a sump. You will increase the amount of water in the system, which increases stability. You can also place your heaters, pH probe, skimmer, thermometer/temp controller and anything else inside the sump, with is much nicer from an asthetic perspective. You can also section off an area for a cheato so you have a small refugeium as well.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Did I ever tell you about my obsession with skimmers??? the ideal skimmer to me would be wall size with one of those moog light thingies behind it, I bought 3 different types and all were junk, now I build my own it soothes me when Im cross lol. Steve

Pro_builder

I have an ETTS 600 with an Iwaki 40 RT on my 180 and it does very well, crystal clear water, and about 1 gallon per day of brown gunk that it pulled out of the tank for the first 2 weeks. Since then about 1/4 of a gallon per day. I am flowing almost 300 gallons of water in my system.

BoomerD

I used a Remora Pro on my 90 for a long time. Pretty good skimmer for HOB, but doesn't compare to what is available for in-sump use...

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
lcstorc said:
SAS
Is that how you get such cool skimmer people? Make your own.
:)

one day whilst playing with a bum pump I picked up stray voltage, as i grabbed the skimmer for support the amalgam in my fillings shorted out and sort of did this mind meld thingy or its mercury poisoning or maybe Im just a bit off lol

jg2269jg

Hey guys i am sorry to intrude on someone else's question but i am looking to upgrade my existing protien skimmer in my 110 gallon tank to a aqua c ev 120 or 180 or any other skimmer of that kind any help out there for a fellow reefer my mind hurts from going at this alone thanks in advance

bluespotjawfish

Good luck on your purchase. I have been trying to research what to buy as well and decided on the ASM G-2 for my 125 gallon. :winner: They are supposed to be quite easy. I'm tired of messing around trying to get the flows right on the old one I have. I also had a cheap one over the tank years ago that kept flooding, so I prefer one in the sump. Make sure the size you order fits where you want to put it!!! The G-2 is a tight fit in my sump.

lcstorc

I love my current ASM enough that when I decided to upgrade I went with another ASM. It's going to be interresting because I am jumping from a g1x to a g4x. Adding more water volume as well so that it why I went so big on the skimmer.

Pro_builder

jg2269jg,
I like the ETTS 600 and 900 Skimmers, they are easy to set up and no messing around with them after initial setup.
Just remember, you always want to get a skimmer that will handle more than the size tank you are running. the larger the better.

jg2269jg

thanks guys i did like the aqua c ev series but after talking to the people at the lfs and your comments l think i will go with a ASM 3x or 4x thanks for all your help

jg2269jg

hey happy new year does amyone know if the asm skimmers is only in sump or can it be placed externally to the sump

lcstorc

ASM is an in sump skimmer as far as I know. At least mine is. They might make a hob but I have never seen one.