Protein Skimmer Needed?

Shipwreck75

Everyone, I have a question about my protein skimmer. Do I really need one? I have an over the back filter for filtration and a power head for current. I went out and bought a Aquac Nano Remora Protein Skimmer based on all that I have read, it was the best product to get. Well even the Nano variety is big for my 20 gallon tank. Do I really need it? I have another over the back filter, can I just use two of those? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Shipwreck75

GlassMunky

What do you mean by over the back filter? Like a power filter for Freshwater? If so, you COULD use them, but most don't for SW. What are you running in the filter? Just carbon? You have one of the best skimmers for a tank that size. I woould just use the skimmer and do WC's weekly and ditch the power filter

tnwillia

+1^ dump the "over the back filter" and go with the skimmer and weekly water changes. Good luck!

Shipwreck75

@ Glassmunky, yes it is like a fresh water filter. I have the carbon, sponge, etc inside. But as tnwillia has suggested, I can go with just the protein skimmer and be fine.

Shipwreck75

GrendelPrime

to skim or not to skim that is the question...do what works for u and dont worry about what every one has to say..u can have a killer reef with no skimmer

DaveK

I tend to disagree with most of the above posts.

I would use a skimmer AND your hang on tank filter. IMHO, each one does things the other does not. A skimmer removes waste products from the system before the biological filtration or the chemical filtration needs to deal with them. Skimmers are especially good at removing liquid wastes. A hang on tank filter removes large particulate matter and can use carbon. These are things skimmers don't do well.

In other words, I feel the two systems complement each other.

I am not a fan of hang oh the tank skimmer/refugiums or hang on the tank refugiums because I consider them to be too small to really be effective. You get a small skimmer and a small refugium. IMHO it's sort of the worst of both worlds.