Prolly the dumbest question ever here ...

Mischko

... but how do you guys clean your filter socks? I am putting mine in the washing machine without detergent, of course and then give them a good rinse.

Funlad3

Has been struck by the ban stick
I do washing machine on high spin speed, extra rinse, pre-soak, and extra spin. Even that doesn't clean out everything, but they seem to work well enough nonetheless.

I bleach them overnight in a bucket, rinse them once with with water and a little Prime just to be safe, then put them in the washing machine to rinse. NO DETERGENT.

Mischko

Had some thought about cleaning those filter socks. Bleaching them ain't no good. Bleach will just disolve coloration, but not really cleaning it, plus it will leave traces of it in the filter sock. Washing machine afterwards isn't really that good either, because detergent traces are for sure left in the filter sock. Just have a look in the box where you put the detergent how much is there left!
I let them soak in hydrogen peroxid for several hours. The hydrogen peroxid will disolve into water and oxygen in water so nothing is left in them. After that a good washing/rinse with the shower head.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I still bleach in the washer, double rinse & air dry - no problems and they look like new - no gunk left inside.

Mischko

I still have my concerns about the washer here. Mind you, you know I am the guys saying 'never change a running system', but still. I had my socks in the washer, only washing, no detergent, hot, rinse. I got them out smelling nice and fresh with softener! But then, and no kidding here now, maybe your washers in the US work slightly different.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
They must work the same LOL! I switched to mesh socks, rather than the thick felt like material - the mesh usually don't plug as quickly and probably rinse a lot cleaner than the fabric type.

Tokalosh

I use a real cost effective filter sock called "Womens pantyhose" they don't clog as quick and cost very little £.
Use once and throw away.

Tok

Mischko

Yeah when it comes to filter socks I am like David LOL
Pantyhose? Hmmmm, I fear there will be a slight conflict with my fiancee!

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I scrub em like hell in hot water. Leave em sitting for a day n scrub em again. I.keep this up until I need to change filter socks. N no, neither myself nor my tank wears pantyhose. Its good old fashion bought at MarineDepot filter socks.

Sent from Matts DROID x using Tapatalk