Project 58!! (Image intense)

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Good luck with your clams Nick. Sounds like you didn't waste anytime treating them..good job :) Very nice frags! I really like the purpleish stylophora!

Maxx

Yeah, I like it too, but I just wish these would color up more...Ive got varying shades of brown in my tank. The three frags from the local reefer (chicken leg, neon green polyps, and Stylo) were under 175 w CoralVue 15K's. The parent colony of the chicken leg was creamy white and had pale green tips.
Right now my favorite is the blue polyp acro.

Nick

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Nick - glad that I was able to help with your dip. Fortunately, we had talked about this, so you knew what you were looking at and caught it very early. As you know, I was very nervous....more so about cutting them off the rock than anything else (and I was heard "whispering" explitives while contorting myself to get the right angle using a razor in the tank - eek! - its a wonder I survived). Amazing how quickly they open up after such an ordeal. 25 minutes seems like a long time, but it makes an immediate difference.

Maxx

Yeah, I was surprised at how quickly they opened up after that long of a freswater dip. These are much tougher critters than I originally thought.

Ummm.....well, I had some errands to run, which just happened to be in the vicinity of the LFS...........
and........
ummmm.......

I bought 7 small acro colonies. They are acclimating right now, pics will be posted later tonight or tomorrow.
The largest is maybe 1.5 inches in diameter. these are some smokin cool corals....
Dont worry, I'm not adding anything else for awhile!
Nick

Spooda420

Nick the tank looks like its coming along great.... Im glad your starting to add frags that way in a year from now we can trade. I have a wickedly pink stylo that I got from Inland Aquatics in January.

Once the Acros are frag-able let me know I have that tricolor and a couple of millies that Id like to start trading with another SEASL member... you.

Are you gonna make it out to see kevins 5000g tank again this year?

best of luck.

Maxx

Thanks for all the kind words folks...Its nice of people to say the tank is coming along great.....It feels like I'm spending a fair amount of money to grow algae.

Anyway as promised, here are some new coral pics.

Purple tipped acro

Nick

Maxx

Purple acro...currently encrusting....

Peach colored table

blue tipped table

Light green with pink polyps

Finally, a light green table, ( I'm thinking this one might be a millepora)

Maxx

Thanks Craig. The other one seems to have finally crawled into a black hole and pulled it shut after himself, cause I have no idea where it is....
Nick

Maxx

Spooda420 said:
Nick the tank looks like its coming along great.... Im glad your starting to add frags that way in a year from now we can trade. I have a wickedly pink stylo that I got from Inland Aquatics in January.

Once the Acros are frag-able let me know I have that tricolor and a couple of millies that Id like to start trading with another SEASL member... you.

Are you gonna make it out to see kevins 5000g tank again this year?

best of luck.

Chris,
I'm more than happy to do that!! I just need to get my reactor on line...I've been very lazy about it. Yes, I'm planning to go to Kevins house on the 12th. I might not show up until around 12 though since I have to work that night...we'll see.

Nick

Tigahboy

I want chalk bass now! I'm sure you mentioned this somewhere in this mega long thread...so sorry for the repeat question...but can you keep chalk bass in a group? are they semi-aggressive like the royal grammas?

Gina

RS STAFF
Everything is looking great! Kinda hard to resist buying frags huh? Good to see color in there finally! Don't forget the full tank shots so we can see where you placed everything!

Maxx

TB,
Yes you can keep them in groups according to Scott Michael. I only have one now since the other one dissappeared somewhere. They arent very aggressive at all, except to each other evidently, as Scott Michael reccomends putting them in together. To be honest with you, mine is really mellow. He's the most laid back fish in the tank and doesnt really sweat anybody else. The real bonus IMO is how inexpensive they are and the fact that they only get to be about 3 inches in length. Neat fish, I'll have more in the future when I upgrade.

Gina, Full tank shots are pending. Still need to place everyone in a final spot....I ran out of putty last night, have to get more today before work.
Nick

Maxx

03-05-05

I notice the tissue of two of my new corals actually sloughing off in pieces from the skeletons. I'e never experianced this before, but from reading,this was Rapid Tissue Necrosis (RTN). After calling some friends (Thanks Mojo!), I was convinced it was RTN and I needed to do something fast, as it spreads quickly and will wipe out the entire coral if left untreated.

So I fragged the bejeezus out of the two of them.

The two corals that were RTN-ing were two of my favorite new ones, the green table and the peach colored table.

Here is what the green table looked like when I bought it.

I initially had about 7-8 frags of it total, but after looking at them this morning, I saw 4 of them showing RTN as well, so I pulled those out of the tank also. Heres what I'm left with so far today. Hopefully at least one of these pulls through.

I wont be surprised if the little one doesnt make it.

And here is what the peach colored table looked like when I first bought it.

And here is how it looks now....I had more of this one also, but saw RTN on some of these frags also....this is what I'm left with here.

I think the large one in the middle of the first pic has the best chance of making it. We'll see.......

Nick

Maxx

Thanks Craig.

These were aquacultered Walt Smith corals...The LFS has a partnership with him. Since two of the 7 acros came with acro crabs, I think its safew to say these were cultured in the ocean, and thats probably why they going through RTN. I just checked on them all again...so far they all look decent. Not happy mind you, but at least the polyps are out on some of them. After looking more carefully at the green table frags, the two larger ones appear to be okay right now. I didnt have to touch them this morning when I was going over the other frags and culling out the ones with tissue sloughing off.
I cut as far away from the affected areas as possible when I initially fragged them. Right now its just a waiting game...

Gina

RS STAFF
Sorry to hear that! Do you have any idea what caused the RTN?
I hope fraging will do the trick! They are nice looking corals!
A little Karma that they pull through!

Maxx

RTN is one of those unknown things. Its more common in wild caught/ocean cultured corals. Near as I can guess by reading in between the lines is that its basically a stress related issue.
Thanks Gina, I'm hoping for the fragging to do the trick also.

Nick

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Bummer!! Sorry to hear that Nick :( FWIW.. i recently accidentally broke a piece of one of my small sticks (blue ora tort) while cleaning the tank. It RTN'd within a day after I glued it to a small rock :( I can only guess it was the glue? It was fine before I glued it... just lying on it's side in the tank... ya just never know........

karma for your loss.