Project 58!! (Image intense)

Witfull

the trials and tribulations of reefing,,,as frustrating as things may seem,,,that is one of the reasons we love it so much,,,hypothisis, research, learn...

continued good luck nick,,,the tank is looking nice~~

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
The tank is looking great Nick !
That was mighty kind of Nikki giving ya the RBTA and now you can make some money on the twin :D

I have had the same problem with my Clams lost one already...really irritating situation, not only the pinched Mantle but my Potter's constantly nipping at it. I hope yours recover, I love the Teardrop great color. Those Onyx clowns are the coolest but also very expensive.

Maxx

Wit,
Thanks for the encouragement....you're right though. If it was easy, it wouldnt be as much fun.

Robert,
Thanks for the kind words as well. I'm pretty happy with the RBTA, and it was very cool of Nikki to give me the RBTA....but I'm pretty sure she's happier w/o it. I plan on keeping the two, and selling off any others that arrive unexpectedly. The clam thing sucks....I rteally like this Teardrop Crocea. If I buy any more clams they will be Maxima's....gotta get a handle on this though....

The tissue on the purple tipped acro is almost completly gone. This is different than the previous RTN issue. In the first involving the two tables...the tissue looked like whole chunks of it were just bubbling off... I fragged very aggressively and have encrusting growth on all of those frags now including the green table. With this one, its like the corals tissue is just melting off. I did frag several off the larger branches so I feel fairly confident that I can save something here.... I just wish I knew what had caused this in the first place.
I'm going to have to move the acro crab to the blue tipped table, (Which is turning a nice pink/peach color....

Nick

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I'm glad you can save some Nick... I know how completely frustrating it is to loose corals. All we can do is our best.

Maxx

Came home tonight and two of the recent frags were RTNing also....one was completely gone...in just 12 hours. Guess thats why they call it Rapid Tissue Necrosis...
Guess I'm not out of the woods yet. I'm warming up RO/DI water for another Clam bath....I will be doing 45 minutes this time.

This particular game is getting old. I can see Pinched Mantle signs on the blue crocea again...in a different spot this time, but still very close by. I'm putting the teardrop in as well...

we'll see how things go.

Nick

Gina

RS STAFF
Good luck with the bath Nick!
Sorry about the RTN. I thought things were on the up swing. Still would be nice to know what the heck causes it!

Maxx

3-30-05

The clams currently look fine. I did give them a 45 minute RO/DI bath two days ago. They opened up shortly after being placed back in the tank. The lab that Barry has sent the clams to studied has reported back that it is indeed caused by a protozoan. An exact ID wont be done due to the increased expense this would cause. The lab did determine that a freshwater bath of 5 minutes was all that was necessary to kill the protozoan. They are also working on finding something to dose which would kill the protozoan. This is needed because the clams close up during the RO dip which convienantly protects the protozoan from the hyposaline treatment. Right now its looking like the drug used to treat the protozoan infestation would also wipe out the bacterial population of the tank so in all likelihood, a seperate tank will be required to treat them in...I'll let folks know more when updates become available.

As far as my tank goes....today was a fairly productive day of maintenance. I cleaned the skimmer out yesterday, (happens at least once a week, sometimes twice), did an 18 gallon water change, (only the 2nd since setting up the system...need to be more regular with them...), hooked up two of the B-11 battery back up airpumps, (Power goes out, airpump kicks on until power is restored or battery dies...5 days later) and did some plumbing mods.

The plumbing mods were to the chiller return. I removed the loc-line returns and hard plumbed two new ones that are not going to cause micro bubbles. I didnt realize when I first started plumbing this that Loc-line isnt air tight. Mojo told me, but I didnt quite get what he was saying...until I saw them all. The loc-line joints will pull air in with the water generating micro bubbles.

For some reason, the locline returns from the chiller and the sump return were generating more bubbles when I ran the Mag 7 along with the Iwaki 40 that feeds the chiller. Running just the Iwaki (which is horribly choked down by the chiller's internal heat exchange coil) slows the flow through my sump down to about 4 times total turnover, with the Mag 7 running also, I'm getting the total system turnover up to about 8 times.

The main reason to run both pumps simultaneously is to move more water through the system, which kicks up more stuff and , (hopefully), puts it in the water column where the skimmer can get to it. I have a new return dry fitted up to replace the single return from the Mag 7. I want to be able to blow the gap between the rear glass and the cuttingboard clean on both sides, and prevent detritus from building up there.

And speaking of detritus...I removed the chaetomorphia algae today...the amount of funk that came flying out when I disturbed it was NASTY.....ewwwwww.....
While attempting to rescue as many chaeto dwelling critters as possible, I saw something kinda cool...a micro brittle star fell onto the platygyra brain, and was eaten.

I used a label maker to put today's date on the case of one of the airpumps...this way I know how long the batteries have been in it. I plan on replacing the batteries on daylight saving time in the fall...same as the smoke detectors in the house.

Thats the extent of the positives... two of the last three frags from the purple tipped acro are showing RTN...

I have one frag of the coral left from when I first mounted it on te left side of the tank...it fell over and broke off a small tip, which I epoxied to the rockwork on the other side of the tank. Hopefully, that one survives. Otherwise its a total loss.

I moved the acro crab to the blue tipped table...didnt realize it was too large to fit between the branches of that one. It moved when the lights went out to the brown table it originally came in on. That acro now has two crabs in it. They dont exactly interact...but they dont fight either. Its kinda like the odd couple there...or maybe those two grumpy old guys in the balcony from The Muppet Show.

Nick

Maxx

Here are the pics as promised...

I had to move the Teardrop Crocea because the RBTA moved over and attached to it one day prior to the split, and I was planning on dipping the clams again.

Both clams and assorted frags...

Blue Crocea, Blue polyped acro, Stylophora, (coloring up nicely since being moved up in the tank), Brown table acro with two crabs, and the chicken foot in the background. The Chicken foot has been turning a neat irridescent green at the bottom of the tank, so I thought I'd move it up higher in the tank and see what happens.

The formerly blue tipped table, the purple acro, and the brown table acro.

Here are both anemones....this is a homemade rock I got from Darrin at one of the club meetings. I'm honestly thinking of using more when I eventually upgrade....

Here is the daughter, its about 1/3 the size of the mother. These pics BTW, dont do justice to any of the colors of the corals, anemones, clams, or fish....gets close to the right color of the rocks though......man I need that D-Rebel!!

Mother RBTA...

Finally pics of the RTN'ing purple tipped acro...

Here is what it loked like when I got it....

Here it is now....Only 1/8th of a branch tip on the left is still alive...cyano is growing on the branches on the right.

One of the last frags...bad pic sorry...tyou can see the RTN'ing tissue on the left.....

Finally, the one chance I have left at re-growing this coral....the small one of the left. Oddly enough, this image is close to the true colors of the corals....

Nick