Profilux 3ex help with dimming stock t5 lights

ho02ody

Hey guys,
So I've found and fitted 3new dim able ballasts with 0-10v control.
I'm just wondering if I need to purchase the pab dimming power bar from profilux?
I know I need the dimming interface
93b5b3bd.jpg

I'm unsure as to which one I would need and how many of these? I would guess its the cheaper one as its for 2x 39w lamps each ballast, they control 2 ballasts each so I will need 3 of these to control them independently though I've not worked out what my final plan is so maybe one will do them all not worth dimming individually as I won't gain anything from that.
Anyway, do I still need to get the dimming pab bar as well? Or will just the interface do what I need?
Any help would be much appreciated
Regards
Dan

pocketreef

Hi Dan,

In my configuration I dimm 2 reactors together and 1 separatelly. I use 2 interfaces PL0556 but you can buy one PL0056 and one PL0556. As each 10V interface has 2 channels L1-L2, L3-L4, L5-L6; these few interfaces are precious and I also wanted to control tunze electronic pumps and a weather simulation stick. In order to connect 5 cables in 3 holes I had also to order 2 cables GHL YL2-1 Splitter to help me achieving the objective. In my installation I missed interfaces that's why 2 ballasts are dimmed together, unfortunatelly the weather simulation stick uses 2 interfaces, the 2 tunze 6055 use one interface each leaving only 2 for lights.

I cannot live without my profilux controller anymore :) your next toy will be the dosing pump unit I'm sure :p

Have fun, merry Xmas

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
excellent reply PocketReef :)

I too wouldn't go w/o my ProfiLux. Heck I wouldn't run any tank w/o a controller but my personal pref is ProfiLux.

ho02ody

Thank you pocket reef, did you have to buy a 1-10v expansion card as well so you could run your weather stick?? I wish to get 2x weather sticks to simulate the sunrise sunset and do the thunder storm etc. just out of curiosity how many weather sticks do you get in a pack? It always shows two on the pics but I'm guessing you be t jus t the one
Regards
Dan

pocketreef

Hi,

In my conf I did not need an expansion card so far...
I have chosen the stick that does all in one which is strong enough to my RSM250: GHL-Profilux Dimmable LED - Full Weather Simulation Red - Blue - White - Flash - Stick
The above stick uses 2 channels and yes its only 1. There is the option to get them separated...

The simulation of clouds, storms and sunrise/ sunset changes your tank all day long! During storms I set the electronic pumps to 100% alternated. It's nice to observe how animals behave; the shrimps come out, the fish hide (the yellow coris burrows itself). The Blue leds become powerful moonlights that change phases based on coordinates you select; few times I could witness my snails pointing to the blue leds to lay their eggs. I could talk all day how this thing is amazing, you get even a shimmering effect from the leds during sunrise and sunset :)

You'll probably want to purchase a cheap wireless router and connect it to the GHL and bridge with your home wireless in order to play God from your sofa.

Have fun

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
You'll probably want to purchase a cheap wireless router and connect it to the GHL and bridge with your home wireless in order to play God from your sofa.
I love that last comment :LOL:

Check out this thread re:wireless connectivity:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/equipment/73627-ghl-profilux-wireless-equipment-setup.html

I've got 1x each of:

Profilux SIMU-L Effects LED Light Bar (PL-0373)
ProfiLuxSimu-L-l.gif

Profilux Simu LED Sunrise-set/Moon/Storm Spot (PL-0355)
profilux-led1-l.gif

I'm currently only running the simu-L but plan to swap it out for the simu-Spot to see if it's got a stronger "flash".

ho02ody

Thanks for all the info, II don't get it till mid jan but already got a nice list of gear to get. And thos some sticks are defo on that list, are there different coloured sims sticks? I see two types listed usually but always look the same to me?? And they definitely both simu all weather sticks, not moonlight etc, also did you say they do a moonlight phase as well incorporated into the ghl software but using the all weather stick?
Big al
How come you have used such an expensive bridge! The dap 5122 is around £80 here could I use something like this
VONETS VAP11G WIFI BRIDGE FOR SKY ANYTIME/ XBOX / PS3 | eBay
It's £20 and a cheapy bridge that from what I can see should do the job nicely, isn't worth spending all that dosh on the bridge when it's just for the ghl. but if I have to then so be it
Regards
Dan

steved13

PREMIUM
For moonlights, am I reading this right, you put in your co-ordinates and the moon phase in the tank, coincides with what is happening outside your window?

ho02ody

Yes this is correct, or you put int he co-ordinates of you desired location/reef and it will exactly simulate the lunar cycle of tht location, pretty cool right?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
For moonlights, am I reading this right, you put in your co-ordinates and the moon phase in the tank, coincides with what is happening outside your window?

Exactly right. See the screen shot below. I put in my exact coordinates and it replicates what I would see if I went outside and looked up at the moon right now. See the section highlighted in the RED box for "Location"
GHL_Prof_General_Location.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Thanks for all the info, II don't get it till mid jan but already got a nice list of gear to get. And thos some sticks are defo on that list, are there different coloured sims sticks? I see two types listed usually but always look the same to me?? And they definitely both simu all weather sticks, not moonlight etc, also did you say they do a moonlight phase as well incorporated into the ghl software but using the all weather stick?

Keep in mind that the picture of the sticks is just a graphical representation. There are some that don't do lightning but when I posted above I included part#'s so you wont get confused. The ones I posted handle ALL of the above simulations (weather, Moon, sunrise, sunset etc).

Big al
How come you have used such an expensive bridge! The dap 5122 is around £80 here could I use something like this
VONETS VAP11G WIFI BRIDGE FOR SKY ANYTIME/ XBOX / PS3 | eBay
It's £20 and a cheapy bridge that from what I can see should do the job nicely, isn't worth spending all that dosh on the bridge when it's just for the ghl. but if I have to then so be it
Regards
Dan

Dan the main reason why I went with that bridge (DAP 1522) is because I know it works and I know it's dependable for the long run. I help with some GHL tech support issues and this unit had performed many times over with no flaws. Some other "similar" products are less than quality components and when you've spent hours trying to help someone get connected only to find their choice of equipment for some reason didn't work in their network you tend to find the products that are proven to work and go with them. Yes just about "any" bridge/access point should do the job but I can tell you for sure that is not the case. The DAP5122 installed easily and hasn't dropped connection a single time and that's what I expect from my set-up. If you have confidence in another product then there's no rule saying you can't go that route. Find what works for you in your situation and go with it.

FWIW I've seen the very one you've liked to used by another GHL client and I'm pretty sure he's had good service from it.

Another reason I went with DAP1522 is because I know of others who are using it for high-speed high-demand applications like gaming, Video Cameras etc and it performs all the above tasks without problems.

ho02ody

Thank you AL,
I'm sure I'll go with the cheapy for now but I know why you mean about using a product you trust, it's only 20quid so I wnt cry about it if it isn't up to scratch then I'll re-read this post and kick myself a little bit haha.
I've got another £800 of ghl gear to get so every little saving helps, and yes I am taking your advice on slowly building up and learning every aspect of the ghl in its set up processes I just like to have everything ready to go :weird:
It isn't a bad thing that I haven't got the actual p3 ex yet as I'm managing to learn a lot about its set up and what it can do before I get all carried away and go in guns blazing! Liking the simu sticks tho, I planned on two of these one front one back for my rsm250. What's the issue with the flashes? Are they not very bright or a bit lack-lustre for what you were expecting? I did see the spots but couldn't imagine them being as bright as the stick and mounting them would be an issue I think.
Thanks for all the help
Regards
Dan

pocketreef

Hi Dan,

The simul all-in-one flashes are ok if lights are at 0%... with lights at 5% for example your storm may pass unnoticed... maybe just clouds? Here I dimm to 0% and have 5 min storms randomly dispersed once a day. I find a bit annoying dark clouds passing too often but clouds are really cool.

I use here Fiji coordinates for the moon cycle :woohoo:

My last fun is about emptying the skimmer cup with the dosing pump :java:

steved13

PREMIUM
Finally, something the GHL does that the Apex can't. From what I hear the old Neptune had this feature but they dropped it on the new one. The Apex Lunar cycle is just a generic program.

That's a very cool feature. It puts nature in your reef, the gravitational pull will coincide with your lunar cycle.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hi Dan,

The simul all-in-one flashes are ok if lights are at 0%... with lights at 5% for example your storm may pass unnoticed... maybe just clouds? Here I dimm to 0% and have 5 min storms randomly dispersed once a day. I find a bit annoying dark clouds passing too often but clouds are really cool.

I use here Fiji coordinates for the moon cycle :woohoo:

My last fun is about emptying the skimmer cup with the dosing pump :java:

I like the Fiji idea Dan. Fiji is where I'd like to "Retire" and start up a seaplane/scuba tour business. :)

LOVE the idea of emptying the skimmer cup via dosing pump :)

ho02ody

Lol pocket reef, the way you talk about what you have done with your ghl makes me itch to get it. That's a great idea with the skimmer emptying, I guess you have this going straight to a drain as well?? Now that would impress me.
I've wired the new dim able ballasts in but only just realised I now have to take it all apart again to rewire the power supply to the ballasts from the 1-10v control gear! Makes sense though as when you set it to 0% it will switch the lights off. Just a pain in the a$$ taking the hood apart again!! But I guess I can wire the simu sticks in at the same time. Have you set your pumps to change during the storm? So they surge or anything like that? After big AL said about the flashes I did check out a video on YouTube of a profilux storm and it didn't seem to have much flashing but maybe he just set it that way, he also had thunder storm sound effects and water sprays to mimic rain on the surface, bit OTT for my build but cool all the same
Regards
Dan