Problems...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF

Always go slightly over than under. That's pretty much standard across the board for Aquarium equipment. Many companies over-state their products TRUE abilities to try and "One Up" the competition.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've ordered a lot from them... here's how usually make that decision... I only order when I have a BUNCH of things to justify the S/H. I try to shop at home as much as possible.

jgarrett830

heck i don't know if there is anywhere around here that has them....i will check the LFS....to see that they have...and if it is reasonable.....im going to log onto ebay right now and get the refractor....

jgarrett830

whatelse would benifit me.....i took all the bio balls out.....and the ceramic filter...and added more carbon.....whatelse would do good....i have been reading about yours all....what was yall talking about putting in the back

Jeremy0322

OK, we've worked it out on the phone. I am taking him 10 gallons of my water and bringing his hermits home to live with me for a while. We are replacing the water in his tank with good, aged water. He is going tomorrow to get a new heater I think. Anyway, we are doing this Saturday. Problem solved...for a while. I am giving him my book by Robert Fenner "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" to read. Poor thing, he's ready to toss the tank into the yard.

Make sure you read that book over really carefully, it was a GREAT book in my opinion! I read it twice cover to cover.

jgarrett830

well thanks for the book and all the help greg...u are like the big brother i never had..LOL......also....what u think about getting a few snails to put back i here......when i go get the new heater.......

framerguy

Jason, how did the water change go? Lets test the water and make sure it is stable before adding stuff. When you acclimated the crabs (he kept them) how did they react? While one the phone you said you got a new heater, how is it working? Until we work out that back chamber level fluctuation why don't you keep it in the display part. Let me know brutha.

jgarrett830

yep ....the water change went great......all was well ..came back home that evening ..and put the crabs back in and they were all having a good time.....running around everything.....that one with the messed up shell was funny...i think he is hung ..he walks backwards beside going forward...the heat had done good..i set it around 76....when i went to bed was reading around 76.3..and then turned out lights ...and got up this morning and was the same....can't believe that..have been reading that book..haven't read since high school...LOL........i have been looking for a bigger tank..if i can find one dirt cheap im going to get it ..so ANYONE listening..like to have a bigger tank cheap.....and then build and get the equipment we all decide on...Well we might be in buisness now.....felt bad ...when i went to LFS today..they had my clown in......that i told them to get...greg they are high on the frags....so when i get my clown it will have its friend.......so i still am listening to yall guys.....and anyone having a 50-100 gallon tank laying around...let me know...want to make a stand for it and hide the sump and all......want to make it right so i will have something to be proud of........

jgarrett830

Alright...today is tuesday..came home check the water...

Temp- 75.3
Ph-between 8.4-8.8
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0
Hydrometer-reading 1.026..

so what yall think

framerguy

Ph is a tad high but still ok. Glad to see things are returning to normal. That book is terrific isn't it! You will learn a lot from it.

Paul B

I hate to get into this but I don't think the salinity, temp, or pH killed those snails. I think you said that stuff died after the water change, correct?
Snails are hard to kill, you really need to step on them or put them in a tank with some metal, like what would sometimes come with tap water. It would also kill that coral that Framer gave you.
I am glad the tank seems to be doing well now.

Hello there Framer, love that painting.
Paul

framerguy

Hey Paul (you are a genious!), if you say they are hard to kill then I believe it. It prolly was metals. Jason, get an RO/DI!.. or distilled water ....

Paul B

I got a tank full of them in my workshop for years. I think I could replace the water with sawdust and those things would just grow legs and keep going