Pretty serious skimmer problem (Reef Octo BH-300F)

mastocker

I am having a problem with my skimmer. I have had it for less than 6 months and I kind of foresaw this problem.

The screw that holds the collection cup at the desired hight has stripped. Not the screw itself, but the threading on the hole in the body of the skimmer that the screw screws into. The problem is that the collection cup fall into the chamber and then it makes the skimmer overflow onto the floor.

This is a major problem in my eyes. I woke up this morning to the sound of water trickling, thankfully I was awoken as it started. This has happened about a week ago also when I was sitting next to the tank (another stroke of luck).

I am looking for creative ideas and suggestions to the problem. Any ideas?

reefracer

If you haven't gotten it repaired yet I have a couple of suggestions. Not knowing exactly what the situation looks like neither of these may be an option.
If the threads in a hole are stripped out you can usually go to the next size larger bolt size by tapping the old hole to a next bolt size larger, any hardware store will have the tap you need.
Alternately you could use some of the two part expoxy to plug the old hole and redrill to the original bolt size. Good luck, reefracer.