Preparing the stand

BarbMazz

I'm picking up my tanks, stand and canopy tomorrow :whstlr:

It's a cherry-wood stand and canopy. The inside of the stand is unfinished,,so naturally I need to protect it.

What methods have you guys used for water/salt protection? Is a water-based polyurethane protectant acceptable? It's a nice piece of furniture so I want to treat it nice. :doh: but I don't want to do anything that will bother the tank; fumes, etc.

DrHank

A friend who is a painter answered this question for me. She said to start out with an oil based primer with a stain killer and antifungal agent. I used KILZ primer. They have two types, you want the oil based one. I used two coats. Then she said finish with a white latex enamel, which I did.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
A friend who is a painter answered this question for me. She said to start out with an oil based primer with a stain killer and antifungal agent. I used KILZ primer. They have two types, you want the oil based one. I used two coats. Then she said finish with a white latex enamel, which I did.

Doc this may not (actually wont ) be an issue but if you ever have a warranty issue with "Paint Failure" you wont have any claims unless you use the Primer and Paint from the same manufacturer. For instance if you use Killz "Oil Based" and Ben Moore "Latex" on top of that they wont stand behind it. Now with an Aquarium Stand I don't think we need to worry about that but just in case someone were to read that and apply it to something else try to always use like brands and even THEN only mix oil & latex after you hear it from the paint manufacturer. We sell LOTS of paint and paint supplies here in my company and it's common practice to use Oil & Latex products together now but if it is something that you would ever even CONSIDER being a potential warranty you need to keep it in the same brand and cover your bases.

:)

DrHank

I'd have to defer to Big Al on this one. I never considered warranty. Come to think of it, that may be because I made my own stands. I forgot to offer myself a warranty.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
:LOL: It's only an issue when you're painting something that HAS to have the "Perfect" finish.. I wouldn't think that inside your stand would be an issue.... and the odds of a "Failure" are slim to none but I know how the paint companies are... ANY reason to NOT pay out and they are ALL over it... Seen it too many times on big $$ homes and such.... but on my stand I'd paint it with whatever I wanted regardless of brand. Heck we even have mis-mixed paint here we all but GIVE away. I would use that :)

tbittner

Al, that actually brings up a BIG question. How do home owner policies handle a disaster such as BUYING a stand, the owner paints it and uses inferior products, which allows the wood to get wet and rot, the stand collapses and dumps a 100 gallons of water on the floor. That could cause some serious water damage to the floor in the house.

hmmmmmmmmmm....

I need to call my insurance agent....

spdball

Actually I did ask my insurance agent and I took out a rider on my policy just like you would for a waterbed...As far as the type of finish, I used a black stain over maple, then cleared it with the same waterbased clear I bought to refinish my hardwood floors, theres no smell, and I figured if its strong enough to walk on, it should be fine for my stand.

BarbMazz

I discussed the primer/paint scenario that DrHank offered up with my husband. My husband, who is the Knower-Of-All :bugout: still wants me to go with some sort of polyurethane.

Opinions on that sort of product for wood preservation would be grand! Thanks!

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
I used rubber shower pan lining material from home depot. I lined the the floor of my stand and brought it up like 4" up the sides of the walls.

Not only is it water proof and easy to clean... it also absorbs vibration noise from pumps... :thumbup:

BarbMazz

I used rubber shower pan lining material from home depot. I lined the the floor of my stand and brought it up like 4" up the sides of the walls.

Not only is it water proof and easy to clean... it also absorbs vibration noise from pumps... :thumbup:

Ah! Perfect! It turns out the stand and canopy are finished on the insides, and this idea of yours, JFK Jr is perfecto!

Thanks a bunch!