powerheads

SpitFyre

We have 4 powerheads with aerator hoses. There seems to be quite a bit of bubbles in the tank. Is this good for a reef tank? What suggestions would you have for positioning the powerheads. I have two on each end of the tank. one hundred twenty five gallon reef tank.

acemow

Can you post any pics? I've read that bubbles won't bother corals and fish, I apologize, I can't find the link that showed some research supporting that. There are positions that may help reduce the bubbles, just experimenting with placement. Also, what kind of powerheads?

BigJay

there are arguements for a few micro bubbles not harming the tank. Which is true. A constant barrage of air to certain sessile specimens can lead to death as well as trapping air in rocks which negates the purpose of having live rock. It also causes massive salt creep. You'll notice a crust building up on things like lights extremely quickly.
IMO ditch the air and go with flow.

sneaks03

IDK from experience, but everything I read says no need for air hose in reef tank. So I will make a 4th on removing the air hose.

OHreefer

I would have to agree. Here's another reason. I recently had a debacle with the air hose. There was a power outage very briefly and then it came back on and I found water coming out of the air hose and onto the floor! Luckily it was only 2-3 gallons and it was time for a water change anyway, lol. I temporarily directed the hose into the tank, but I will remove it this week. Do I need to plug it? Or is just pulling the hose out sufficient?

BobBursek

If you run a skimmer it puts in enough dissolved O2 for the occupants. I never could figure out the air hose on PH anyway, maybe there for fresh water tanks that can not use skimmers.