Powerheads for 60 gal FOWLR

waltmag41

Hey everyone......I'm new to the saltwater world and am in the process of setting up a 60 gallon FOWLR. I hooked all my equipment up for a wet test and I'm worried that I'm not moving enough water. Bought 2 Hydor Koralia 425s and I'm realizing that they just aren't gonna cut it. They were only $20 each so I'm not that upset but I'm looking for suggestions that will be better suited for my needs.......Thanks!!!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

In my 66 gallon I run a Vortech MP10, lots of members run the Vortech MP40

frisbee

For that size tank I would probably go with two of the Koralia Evolution 850's. Maybe place them up top at opposite sides of the tank facing each other. This will create quite a bit of turbulence in the middle of the tank and then it will disperse towards the sides. You can put the two 425's you already have pretty much anywhere you want after that IMO. Maybe move them around every now & then. GL.

http://www.aquacave.com/koralia-evolution-850-high-flow-power-head-by-hydor.html

Last edited:

DaveK

I would leave things alone for now. You can always add or upgrade flow pumps later. You may need to move them around a bit to get the best flow. You may also find that no upgrade is needed.

Sure some expensive, high end flow pumps would be great, but you are not going to need all that day one.

miro

I know the itch of needing/wanting to get all whats needed asap! :ashamed:
But i think DaveK and others that told that to me that its prolly a good idea to wait a bit and see what you actually will be needing instead of buying all sorta stuff you might not even use :)