powerheads and positioning

cnr08008

Alright i just started a 60 FOWLR with establised water from a 29 reef that was going for 2 years and about 40 lbs of live rock from that tank. I have Two Koralia 750's and a reef octopus skimmer BH 1000 that suppose to put out 250 so that 1750 GPH total. First do you think that is to much flow for a FOWLR and also right now i have them postioned one on the top left corner pointing up a little to have get some movement on the top of the water and the other on the bottom right pointed a little downwards to get behind the rocks. Is there any other way that would be good to postion them. I have one false percula in there from my 29 reef had not where to house him so ive been testing my water like crazy no ammonia so far.

GrendelPrime

usualy u want the water at the surface moving as much as u can for better oxygen exchange...on my 75 gal i have 2 koralias..1 is at the left front of the glass pointing up and str8 across and the 2nd is on the right backside pointing up and i have nice flow through out the tank

Reddog170

In my 47 I have 2 K2's, 1 K4 and 1 K1. I use the K2's to bring water from the bottom up and the K1 and K4 stir up the top. Works for me, Shaun

cnr08008

well i have two koralia 750's in the tank now and i have a koralia 1 and a koralia nano 425 sitting around should i throw those in there? Also the 60 has been up for two weeks with the establised water and rock from the 29 i did tests today and Ammonia - 0 Nitrite - 0 and Nitrate - 10

Alien2100

IMO placement of pumps varies from tank to tank... depending on all types of things, size, shape, aquascape or livestock for example. Grendel Prime is right about the surface movement, it helps with oxygen exchange and cooling... so that's the best place to start first. You'll also notice when using the pumps to move water along the surface it will also wrap around the tank and get to the bottom in most cases. Then after letting it run like this for a bit you can look for dead spots and place smaller pumps to help alleviate them. That's about the best way I can tell you on setting up water flow. Also I personally don't count a skimmer as water flow, I would consider a return pump, but skimmers normal don't move a lot of water to really consider them has part of the water movement IMO. And like in nature what your going for is stronger movement up higher and calmer current towards the bottom.
Using your old live rock should speed up your cycle, the water doesn't help has much as you might think, most if not all of the bacteria you want are in the live rock and sand, not so much the water. Although using a little water may help a bit.