PowerBrite LED Lights?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
:nono:

Unfortunately they are really just over-priced MOON lights IMHO. To be able to provide any REAL PAR into the tank they need to be:
  • High Quality & High Output LED (you'll know by name and price)
  • They need to be a MIN of 3w each (those are 1w)
  • The unit will cost considerably more. Mine over my 12g (with no labor) cost me $300+/-

There are some high quality and high intensity units out there. This just isn't one of them IMHO.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
If you click "More Information" you'll see they are very careful to not say "For coral growth" because that would be an out-right lie.

These modules can be used to add a shimmering effect to existing lighting systems, as a lunar lighting system to give your aquariums the look of a natural reef under a full moon at night or the strips can be combined and used as the main lighting system for all types of aquariums.

magnum

Thanks Al. As always anything that seems to good to be true usually is. if I leave the tank as a FOWLR do you think it would be better then the 8w bulb thats on there? I do like the shimmer affect that you get from the led lights.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
FOWLR doesn't really matter what lights are on the tank. They merely indicate day and night to the fish and allow you to see what's happening. You could go either way you want. Maybe add them in addition to what you have and if you decide you like them better than the light on there just leave it off and LEDs on only :)

magnum

I think I will give it a try. I don't think I can fit the fixture on the tank with the existing light. Maybe I will do two, one white one blue for night time.

1Reefer

Marineland makes a cheap LED fixture that would work good for a FOWLR tank.... I think it even comes with a mix of blue and white.

1Reefer

Bummer, that deffinatly limits your options... have you tried random Ebay searches? A lot of times you can find light by searching "pet supplies" with random keywords, things like 12", or centimeters, T5, LED, floresent... random things seem to work lol... I've found some good deals on there, maybe check it out

trent6868

This might help you out and it might not....

I recently replaced my moon light after it went out on my 24in Current light.

It came stock with 1 moonlight, i took apart the light and drilled two more holes cut the cord and spliced it and then sodiered it and placed two more led lights under the system along with replacing the middle one.

I went to Radio Shack and they have High Watt White LED's along with Blue and some other colors which are of no use...

Since this was so easy i plan on purchasing more and making a strip of these in the future.

Total costs were $4.00, $1.99 for two LED's and $1.99 for two Sockets for them to fit into.

If you need any help i will help with a detailed explaination if you are interesed.

I can also take pictures if you would like to see.

magnum

This might help you out and it might not....

I recently replaced my moon light after it went out on my 24in Current light.

It came stock with 1 moonlight, i took apart the light and drilled two more holes cut the cord and spliced it and then sodiered it and placed two more led lights under the system along with replacing the middle one.

I went to Radio Shack and they have High Watt White LED's along with Blue and some other colors which are of no use...

Since this was so easy i plan on purchasing more and making a strip of these in the future.

Total costs were $4.00, $1.99 for two LED's and $1.99 for two Sockets for them to fit into.

If you need any help i will help with a detailed explaination if you are interesed.

I can also take pictures if you would like to see.

That sound interesting. I would like to see some photos if you have any.

trent6868

Here are the Pics of the moon Lights i was speaking of earlier, it was hard to get a real clear pic without a flash so here is an idea...

Attachments

• Moon Light 1.jpg
    Moon Light 1.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Moon Light 2.jpg
    Moon Light 2.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 78

trent6868

I find it better to make your own, due to the fact that you can place lights wherever you want not in a strip that has these LED's close together and it is sometimes cheap looking because of how bright it shines on one spot.

If you build your own you can choose where you want light to shine and where by spacing your layout on your own strip or even a piece of wood/material whatever you perfer...

1Reefer

I agree, but not everybody is able to build there own.... and the link Allen just dropped off has some that look like they would work fairly well for small pico or nano style tanks.... I have no idea if they carry enough par, but you could mix a few different color tubes and get great color over a fish only and maybe start introducing corals, lowest light specimens first...

deehz

I agree, but not everybody is able to build there own.... and the link Allen just dropped off has some that look like they would work fairly well for small pico or nano style tanks.... I have no idea if they carry enough par, but you could mix a few different color tubes and get great color over a fish only and maybe start introducing corals, lowest light specimens first...

Here is a link where you can get some LEDS. I have read the whole entire web page and they have me convinced. I agree with BigAl, the Power-Bright system mentions nothing about PAR and only mentions about how they are comparable in wattage to a MH system. I am getting a couple of these units for my RSM. They seem to know what they are talking about especially when they have lights for plants, fowler, and coral systems.
Thanks!

LED Aquarium Light; AquaRay/ AquaBeam Cree XR emitters & Rio Mini Sun

tangerine3486

Awesome thread!!!! I was just about to make a new one with the same initial question! But I have a few more now so if anyone could answer that would be great!

I am having major temperature issues in my tank...like 83+. Would everyone agree that swapping out biocube 14 stock lighting for LEDs would drop my temps?

What is the watt comparison between CF and LED? like if my tank has 48 watts of CF lighting how many watts of LED would I want? Or is it best to compare lumens or something else?

Is 6700k just not as bright as 10,000 k? or not as white? How does 6700k compare to 10,000 and is 6700k not worth it?

I am very interested in the ones BigAl posted LT series 7inch & 12inch SMD LED Light Tubes Specifications

Thanks for the help!!