Powder Blue problem???

OK I ordered a powder blue tang and got it 3 days ago. He looks great except he is showing little interest in food!!:waa: He picks at the rock like crazy! Ive tried frozen(brine, mysis, bloodworm) and flake??? Any other suggestions PLEASE!!!!!
Thanks!
Shawn

InLimbo87

OK I ordered a powder blue tang and got it 3 days ago. He looks great except he is showing little interest in food!!:waa: He picks at the rock like crazy! Ive tried frozen(brine, mysis, bloodworm) and flake??? Any other suggestions PLEASE!!!!!
Thanks!
Shawn

I would try to feed him more of an algae based diet. Tangs are herbivores, and if you can get him to eat it, it would be best for him. Also try clipping some nori (seaweed they use for sushi) or even romaine lettuce on the side of the tank for something nutritious for it to pick on.

DrHank

Clipping nori avery couple of days is the way to go. I soak mine in a bit of Selcon. Your PBT is exhibiting normal behavior by picking at the rocks and/or glass as InLimbo stated they are primarily herbevores.

michael_cb_125

Eventually he will eat what you give him. But until then he will be fine from what he picks off the rocks. As long as he exhibiting that behaivor you know he is ok. Just give him some time.
~Michael

blue_eyes53813

Get some algae strips and use a clip. Hopefully he will eat it.. Is he a baby or is he pretty good size? Maybe you can contact where you got him and ask what he was eating?

JWarren

If he doesn't go for the algae strips, you can offer some Romain lettuce, just wash it really well to remove any pesticides. My yellow tang also likes the flowery part of broccoli again, wash it really good.

lcstorc

IF he won't eat the nori on the clip try wrapping it around a piece of rock. It is a bit more natural that way so they recognize it as food.

JWarren

My coral beauty and yellow tang hang out together and both eat pretty much the same things. Maybe yours will teach your tang whats good to eat. :)

JWarren

Well, if there wasent anything there, he would find something else to pick on. Just have it available to him, when he decides to go for it.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I knew they were herbivores just cant wait for him to eat normal!!!!

Well this is normal ! Do you think that these fish are fed in the wild ? If he's eating micro-algae from the rocks he's fine, that's what they do and eventually when that's not enough he will turn to other algae such as Dulse, Red marine algae or Nori which is his normal food not flake nor meaty foods such as mysis, bloodworms or brine shrimp which has 0 nutritional value for him, the brine that is.

GEEEZZZZZZ, cheeks69 chill! I know how they eat in the wild and I know they need more than just those frozen foods. I just know that sometimes new fish react better to frozen foods. Im just trying to take care of him the best I can!!!! Man sorry I asked!!! And when I said "eat normal" I meant eat food I give him!

framerguy

GEEEZZZZZZ, cheeks69 chill! I know how they eat in the wild and I know they need more than just those frozen foods. I just know that sometimes new fish react better to frozen foods. Im just trying to take care of him the best I can!!!! Man sorry I asked!!! And when I said "eat normal" I meant eat food I give him!
Settle down...Roberts post wasn't worthy of your reaction.

If your Blue is only exhibiting grazing feeding tendencies then use it. Rubberband the nori to a rock and he will nip at it. Place it where he is feeding most. That is really all you need to feed him to sustain him.

I know, it just seemed a little belittling.... Thats what ive been trying haven't seen him eat any of it, but im sitting by the tank with my fingers crossed!!!

kathywithbirds

How's his belly looking? Any "dents"? my one tang didn't eat for a couple days and his belly looked dented... think it's called pinching... but once he ate a little something he filled right back out again.