Potential New Aquarium

BLADEYAMAHA

yah its $40 more than a 40B to get the 50. my stand is actually rated for a 65.. that being said, how much should i worry about the weight on the floor in a 70s circa apartment building?

I really not qualified to answer that, but I always tried to get downstairs apartments.

Intranick

i may still do a 40B because its easier to get. i wasnt thinking about running anything other than my protein skimmer. I was just going to use an ample amount of sand and rock and let my maxi-jet 1200s in circulation pump mode do the rest ;)

BLADEYAMAHA

I really like Aqua C's, I don't understand why you don't want to run such an awesome skimmer, they really do a good job, unless you don't like the air noise they make all the time, they are loud I admit.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
but a lot of people say you need both a fuge and a skimmer..

imo - you can have great success with just a good skimmer (while a fuge is great), the RSM Club if full of beautiful successful tanks that just run skimmers, if this helps any....

Good luck on the new build and good to see you back on RS & posting - look forward to following !

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
A 50 gallon aquarium is approx 400lbs in water. Tank is 25lbs. 50 lbs rock. 50lbs sand. 500 and some lbs spread out over a 30" footprint should not cause u an issue unless the floor joists are simply rotten.

..........tequilla is not my friend anymore

Tru2nr

Make sure you have renters insurance...my apt required it for anything over 30g

...60% of the time it works every time

Intranick

my apartment wants renters insurance for a 5.5g -- and a $300 deposit. both seem reasonable the more I think about it. I was thinking if I have it along the outer wall theres more chance of putting the load in a beam? its a smaller four unit apartment so.. i think its just a matter of thinking about where I want that weight going to cause the least stress on the building.

and Bladeyamaha -- i was saying I will definately run the AquaC -- thats why i have it! its the fuge I dont think I'll do. and good to be back nanoreefing4fun :)

Tru2nr

Seems completely unreasonable IMO lol...but hey they musta gotten burned...i would check and see if the APT below has the exact same layout if so then any wall will be fine

...im growing a reef not reefer!

Intranick

well its their standard pet policy. one of these apartments has a cat and stinks up the halls with cat pee, heh. and they all have the same layout.

Tru2nr

Ah makes sense most places here distinguish between types of pets

Intranick

The other option is to do a nano in my current apartment situation and run maybe a 15 or 20 gallon -- but then i'd need new lights and my skimmer may be a bit large (but still useable) then if i chose to move someday, it wouldnt be such a challenge. thoughts?

Tru2nr

Big or little any tank is a PITA to move...gotta rinse sand regardless...but yes a nano would be easier to move

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Just make sure u locate it above the lower units bathtub. Leak problem no more.

..........tequilla is not my friend anymore

StirCrayzy

Renters insurance is good to haave anyway, its pretty cheap here.
At my townhouse my LL said i could put my 65 upstairs, but also told me which way the joists run and said it must be on an outside wall.
The building maint crew should be able to help,
but think about it... its no different than havin 10 people up there jumpin around at a party!
I dont think you have any worries with a 40b.
glad to see yer back in the game!

Intranick

im seriously considering doing a 15 gallon to start and moving up from there. I even pondered doing it in a rubbermaid container, but then decided that I actually want to look at the stuff :p (kidding about the rubbermaid container part, i have been testing some equipment in one tho)

Intranick

well since i already have renters insurance, and i want to avoid the deposit because I dont think its an issue and like, this floor is old enough they cant charge me much if the carpet is ruined based on their own policy -- I was thinking of getting a 29 gallon, using my 36" light hung somehow , even if it wastes a few inches of light, and keeping it in a closet that can be open 90% of the time but when they come to inspect for "fire hazzard" (only time they enter apartment) i can have it out of sight

Intranick

then like, if they catch me, hopefully its established enough I could convince my dad to let me move it to one of his buildings where it could be displayed in the offices of one of the companies he owns and enjoyed by multitudes (which is where I would keep a second, larger aquarium anyways, I just have to prove a smaller one first)