Post your RSM 250 Mods Here!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Very nice DIY /mod post Tom! Have you tried the black plastic on the front of the hood yet? I was wondering if the weight of the plastic would work with the fixture hanging, rather than on legs.

tnwillia

Thanks Anthony.... Love the Vortech. I'm running it on reefcrest/nightmode at about 65/70% power. It's very powerfull, but adjustable so you can tune it to how you want it to flow. I got the battery back-up also, this will be my power out coverage and I'll take everything else off (UPS back-up). I'ts suppose to run the MP-40 at 30 hours of power outage. I fugure I need 8 to 15 max so short of a heater in the winter this takes care of all my weather/storm problems.

With your fish, I think your really going to love this pump and so will they!

tnwillia

Terry... not worked the plastic yet, I got the 1/8" sheet and it has almost no weight at all but I'm sure it will pull on it some. I'll get it done in the next week or so. Thanks!

carlito

Hi Guys,
Have just installed a 1/4hp chiller here in Perth West Australia, on our RSM250, have installed a 1800LPH pump and installed as per RSM instructions page 41 in the user manual that is underneath the smaller 1200 LPH pump on the right hand side of the tank, I find that the chiller pump comes on very frequantly which I'm unhappy about, the problem I think is that both the suction and the return hoses are using the same section of water in the right hand side of the tank and hence only that section is being chilled and not the the main tank, I am thinking of shifting the return hose into the left side of the tank which means the whole tank will be chilled, am unsure and would like some help and advise please.
Regards
Carlito
ps the whole tank is looking great very algee nowdays

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Carlito - I'd say you are correct - it would make sense to move the inlet and outlet farther apart, or even rig the outlet into the display tank.

tnwillia

carlito... do you use the left side dual fans? If not you could run your return thru that port into your DT, There is and opening between the hood and top tank rim there that will give you about 1/2" dia to work with routing your return. Good luck!

carlito

Reefmack/Tnwillia, Thank you both, by the way Tnwillia are you using the right side chamber to pump to the chiller and returning via the left side into the main tank or into the left side chamber.
Please advise
Carlito

tnwillia

carlito, I use the right side chamber for my chiller. I use the accessory port, pull water out to an external pump then to my chiller, out chiller back thru accessory port into right chamber but rather than dump the chiller water in that back chamber I removed the right side pump and pass my chiller return into the DT thru the right side pump wall thru-hole into locline. There are pictures in this 250 mods thread of my set up. Good luck!

tnwillia

hiller set up...

chillerplumbing.jpg

DSC00823.jpg

DSC00824.jpg

DSC00825.jpg

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
I followed Tom's advice but went for an internal pump and took out the right hand RS pump. That way you are pumping the chilled water straight back into the DT. Seems to work nicely and makes a lot of sense. With summer here I think we'll definetely need the chiller.

carlito

Hi Tom & Leigh,
Thank you for your help, shall do the same as it makes sense to have the return into the RH outlet, will advise results.
ps what temp have you both set your tanks at, as my Hailia Chiller 1/4hp I have set at 26c degrees.
please advise.
Regards
Carlito

carlito

Hi Guys,
Have just done the change over am now pumping the return from the chiller direct into main tank using the left side outlet, the chiller temp is a lot more stable, have done simalar to Tom and Leigh by taking out the RSM 1200L pump and replaced it with a 1800L, will need to do a check to see excactly how much this new pump rated at 1800L is pumping will keep you all advised, I feel a lot more comfortable.
Regards
Carlito

carlito

Thanks Reefmack, by the way have been up very late watching the temp, I'm very dissapointed as it is still going up and the chiller seems to be working the same as previous much too many times, I'm starting to think that maybe the 1800L pump is not pushing out enough water through the pipes and hence the temp is increasing in the chiller, please help guys any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm off to bed now as it is 1.40am however tomorrow I will need to check the pump output using a 5L bucket and by timing it.
Regards
Carlito

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hi Carlito,

I have the same chiller as you and have also set it to 26c. I have an Eheim 2000 pump in the right chamber but I would like more flow. Will probably add a Vortech soon.

carlito

Hi Leigh,
Can you please advise approx how many times your chiller comes on in an hour, I have a 1800L PondMaster MK2 pump in the right chamber, will check flow rate tonight.
Thanks
Carlito

tnwillia

carlito... I have my chiller set at 78.0 deg F. I allow a 1.0 deg F swing (Chiller starts at 79.0) Heater shuts off at 77.9.

IMO, if your pump is pushing flow at the lower end of what the chiller is rated for flow, you are right in it will not cool as fast and will run more. I shoot for high or max chiller flow then use a valve to slow the flow in my tank if needed (which I never do as I loose some of that high flow in the plumbing back to the DT). Problem with the larger chillers is you won't find anything (pump) to fit internally to push the high end flow. Also, the larger pumps are generating heat into your tank as well so your looking at a trade off either way running an internal pump. Hope it all works out for you!