Possible Frag Tank?

blue_eyes53813

HI guys, This might seem like a silly question or a no brainer.. But.. Since the start of my use of zeovit my refugium has been well kinda useless, yea it still has the low flow and sand bed for pods... But as I was thinking about adding a frag tank since I have so many corals that need fragging, I had an idea..

Do you think my fuge can be turned into a frag tank..? It holds approx. 50-60 gallons of water... I would need more light but not sure what or how much.. Maybe a pendant of some sort? I have all types of corals that would be in there, from softies to sps..

And im not sure about the flow either.. I may have to add a powerhead or 2.. I would still like it to be somewhat low flow for the pods...

What are your thoughts.?

Here is a picture and it would be the lower tub with the light over top of it..

Attachments

• possible-frag-tank.jpg
    possible-frag-tank.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 17

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I think it COULD Be done but your SPS will require a LOT more flow.

Also you'll want to eliminate the "Egg-Crate" because it creates a "Louvered" effect along all edges.

I think it's a GREAT idea I'd just be concerned about the flow. I'd kick it up SEVERAL notches with Koarlia PH's and run with it :)

blue_eyes53813

Thank You Al, I would remove the egg crate and use pendants. I forgot to mention that egg crate would be used for racks. I think it would be easy enough to make racks to hang over the sides maybe. Im sure the racks would be the easy part. At Pacific East Aquaculture site. In the limited frag section they have there corals/frags in a tub like mine..

http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com/ShowProductCategory.aspx?CategoryId=83

Kinda neat.. I guess Im just use to the Look through frag tanks.. Top down view would probably be ok too....

Any lighting ideas? Anybody have some pendants they want to get rid of ?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Vicki since it's a DIY you could do about anything you want with light. In this case since heat shouldn't be an issue you can really pack some serous "bulbage" into the tank. Are you concerned about energy consumption (are you GREEN?). I'm a T5 kind a guy so I'd probably try to make a SWEET DIY T5 unit.

Frag racks are UBER easy :)

blue_eyes53813

UBER easy,,, I like that lol....Thanks I will check out T5s...

I could even add Liverock to make hiding spots for pods still... I will get er done....Im sure...