Poor Carpet on the wall

beasone

The carpet in my old tank seems to want to crawl out and is stuck to the wall now.. we have moved most of the live rock into the new tank; however, did not touch his spot.. still he has crawled up the wall and is half out of the water? Has anyone ever seen a carpet do that? Should I be concerned.. :dunno:

ReefLady

Staff member
I'm not an anemone expert, so this is mostly a bump. Can you give us a quick rundown on tank history, lighting, water parameters, and other inhabitants?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Carpets and anemones in general will move if they are not happy. Low light, inadequate feedings, too strong or lack of water flow, etc. can get anemones doing a walk-about.
You possibly stirred up nasties when you removed rocks making the water quality less than acceptible for it?
Retest everything (salinity, alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, temp) and see if anything is 'off'.
Also, your bulbs may need replacing?

yungreefer2410

what kind of lights do you have how big is the tank how old is the tank wht color is the carpet does it look bleached out is its mouth open a lot have you been feeding it if so how much and how often?

beasone

We did move rocks, we are in the process of starting a new tank and dismantling this one. It is team effort and some parts of the team are not patient :evileye: I would not of removed so much of the rock...

I don't have numbers on the old tank, as we wait for the new tank to cycle.. it is being neglected a bit. there is only one live rock, a blood shrimp, cleaner shrimp, snails, brain, (what I call my blueberry tree) and the carpet.

He has had his mouth open a lot and I thought he might of moved because he wasn't getting enough food where he was, though I was dropper feeding him.

I am pretty sure he is not happy, I just hope he can make it another week till the new tank is good. (two weeks in) ....

thanks for your responses.. I am just hoping he hangs in there..

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Have you tested for ammonia & nitrite? Removing all of that rock removed most of your good bacterial filtration, and even with no fish in the old tank you might have a cycle taking place, after stirring up a lot of stuff on the bottom.

fivel

I would definitely test the old tank. Even though it's no longer the priority with the new tank going up, if the water quality is deteriorating in the old tank, you'll lose your carpet anemone and that's a descent sized investment to let go over a few minutes of testing.

Keep working on keeping the best possible water conditions in the old tank while the transition continues to the new tank. I would do several descent sized water changes after testing depending on your results.

Kovu

i could be wrong but i thought anemones need a mature tank to survive and since that the newtank is only a month old wouldnt that be a little dangerous

beasone

Update!! He has made it into the new tank and has found his spot. He is a very happy carpet now! All is well! Everything has made the transition!
DSCF3714.JPG

DSCF3715-1.JPG

l3fty999

Update!! He has made it into the new tank and has found his spot. He is a very happy carpet now! All is well! Everything has made the transition!
DSCF3714.JPG

DSCF3715-1.JPG

I don't know much about carpets, but from what I know about anemones in general, the pic you posted does not look like a heathy anemone. Any one else have any thoughts on this? Just trying to help.:yup:

Take care
Aaron

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I'm no anemone expert either. If it's not healthy I'm guessing that will now improve in the new tank. Keep us posted.