Pool filters sand(silica sand) is safe and good, right?

Doogle

They have a 50# bag of this I was wondering if it's good for my new tank? I think it's good, but I want to make sure first

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
No I would NOT add that. A while back there was one brand of "packaged pool/play" sand that was ok to use but it's not available any more. I'd stay FAR away from it.

Don't risk your whole tank trying to save $ on sand. That's only the beginning of the expense :)

N83259

+1 ^

Don't use it! It's likely contaminated during the harvesting process, and the silicate could be a future cause of algae blooms. People spend good money removing small amounts of silica from their systems. Get the stuff made specifically for salt water use, but don't get the type with the super small (under 1 micron) unless you want to be staring at skim milk for a few weeks.

Doogle

Ha I have the sugar grain stuff now, but want to get some later grain sand so I can take half of the sugar sand and place it in another tank then add some larger grain sand to them.

Willian Sherod

Has been struck by the ban stick
I think this is white marble sand.. If I am right then I hear that this sand is not good for fishes because the shine of the sand make stress to your fishes.