polyps ?

SpitFyre

4 of my polyps have gotten very big and lost there color. anyone seen anything like this? the water is in check and everything else is doing great

Attachments

• 81309 001.jpg
    81309 001.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 36

lcstorc

My guess would be it is just a different type of polyp. If it were bleaching or something, you would see it on the surrounding polyps which appear to be in great health.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Instead of your normal zoa I suspect those are "Palys" which is normally a larger polyp than most zoas :)

SCORE!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Here is some more information but note that sometimes it's VERY hard to accurately identify one from the other but this will help some

Below are some pics from some of the ones I have or had at one time...
Palythoa/Protopalythoa (common name: button polyps)
Green Neon Paly
IMG_5081.jpg

Grande Paly
IMG_5067.jpg

Nuclear Paly
IMG_5071.jpg

Neon Paly
IMG_5068.jpg

Zanthid/Zoanthus

Here is a shot of my Zoa Garden (you'll see some Paly's in the back there)
Zoa Garden
IMG_6871.jpg

One thing you notice is that many Palys (nothing is set in stone here) grow more "singularly" and common Zoas (sometimes called Zoos) grow closer together. They are from the same family and often times are cross-identified.

One difference in the ones that I have is all my palys will "Actively" feed (close up and intake larger food) while none of my Zoas actively feed. I'm confident they are still feeding from the water column but they don't show signs of "capturing" the food by closing on it.