Poll:Salt? Fresh? Both? What do you keep?

Do you keep both types of tanks or only one?

• Salt and Fresh

Votes: 79 52.3%
  • Salt only-I don't like Fresh

Votes: 40 26.5%
  • Salt only-I can't afford both/don't have space

Votes: 21 13.9%
  • Fresh only, but looking to start a Salt

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Salt only, but looking to start a Fresh

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • No tanks right now

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters

rckmtl

Ok, cuz I am both bored and curious, here is a poll. Feel free to explain your vote in a post or discuss the topic.

I've got both and probably always will. There is just so much diversity in both types that it is hard to limit my hobby to just one.
Plus, on those days when I am too broke for a coral, I can always afford a new plant! :bouncer:

Gina

RS STAFF
I voted for salt only/don't have the room for more than one tank.
I would like to have a discus tank some day but, right now we barely have room for our 46g.

Jiddy

Have a 55g FW (neons & rainbows) setup, a 90g empty in the garage, and a 220g at some guys house who tells me he will sell it to me, but its been 2 LoooNNNnnnnGGGggg weeks.

KimPossible

I have a 55 gal salt and I help my 6 yr. old with her 15 gal fw. She houses 2 guppy's (i thought they'd be learning fish, but she's keeping these suckers alive) and a kuli loach. We are going out this weekend to get some fw plant. I will be getting a larger sw aquarium sooner than expected thanks to sharkbait :)
I'm gonna let it set in the garage for just a bit while i finish off my 55 gal. projects. I just want to be able to look at it :drooool:

corvettephreek

I have a 29 Gal. FW with 2 angels, albino tiger barb, Blue Gourami, and a south african clown knife.

I also have a 20L reef

a 10 Gal. feeder holding tank (no pix yet)

and a 1 Gal. NANOOOO.... :D

I love fish.... :)

forestal

well i had 9 fw tanks, mostly african cichlids, a true passion, until i got bit by the reef bug,
now i ....um i mean my daughter has a 29 hex african cichlid malawi tank below:
setup2.jpg

and my big system 120/150/100 reef
120 starfire cube: aggressive fish/back reef indopacific - pablo the picasso alone for now
120cube2.jpg

150 indopacific back reef:
full2.jpg

Frankie

RS STAFF
I have a 120gal. reef with a 75gal. refugium. And like kimpossible I help my 6 year old with her 10gal. fresh water.

jimeluiz

Reef only. Our space is super tight. If I had more space I would probably first set up a quaranteen tank, as it would have come in handy a few times these past two years.

We like to take long vacations and our setup is complicated enough as it is. Another full-on tank does not seem wise. The learning curve for tank-sitters is steep enough as it is.

rckmtl

Sure! A tank's a tank!

Hey Doni. your betta pm'ed me. For christmas he wants an eclipse6 :bouncer:

Seen those new hanging betta bowls? I was thinking it would be funny if someone got like 30 of them and used them for front walkway lights. course it wouldn't work long term, just be like a one day thing.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
rckmtl said:
Sure! A tank's a tank!

Hey Doni. your betta pm'ed me. For christmas he wants an eclipse6 :bouncer:

Seen those new hanging betta bowls? I was thinking it would be funny if someone got like 30 of them and used them for front walkway lights. course it wouldn't work long term, just be like a one day thing.

LMAO!~~~~

:D

Iriejedi

Pooling my tanks

At one point I had 7 fresh tanks ranging from 10 gal up to 100 gal going in every room of my College apartment..... then a so called friend (who had a reef tank I truly admired) told me I could convert my 60 gal fresh to salt for about $200 to $300 dollars...... :smoking: (yeah what was he smoking).....

Now zillions of dollars later..... I have one 180 gallon reef tank.

Hope the picture shows up.

Attachments

• 180 gallon post.jpg
    180 gallon post.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 72

niagara135

Started out freshwater in 92. First a 30 gallon, not big enough. Then a 55 gallon, again I got bored and wanted to go bigger. I got a 90 gallon and was happy for awhile. I was hot and heavy into african cichlids for a few years until the kids got bigger and took more of my time. Sold the tank to my brother in law who is still running it today. Everytime I was over at his house I would fiddle with his tank and that would be my fix, cause I still wanted a tank deep inside. Came back from a trip two years ago to find a fish tank set up in the living room. I really didn't want to get involved with it, I wanted a big tank and there were no good places around to get african cichlids. We talked about saltwater but I was a bit intimidated hearing how hard it was. Came home one day to find all the freshwater fish crammed into a ten gallon tank and the other tank set up with saltwater, OK, I guess I have to learn now. The old tank was a 46 gallon bow front and it just wasn't big enough. Now the present tank is a 90 gallon and the 46 is a winter pond goldfish home. The goldfish are outside for the summer and it's weird looking at an empty tank just sitting there. It would make a nice home to say a lionfish or something. And who knows, this 90 gallon is looking a little small as time goes on, maybe there's a bigger reef tank in the future.

tmc

got a 75 salt and a 55 fresh with piranaha that i am waiting to sell so i can get a smaller salt fresh water tanks suck jmo
troy

rckmtl

Thanks to everyone who's responded so far! The results have been very interesting. I had been guessing that not a lot of people would have both types of tanks, but I am glad to see that my guess was incorrect