Poll on who likes and dislikes coraline algae.

who likes and dislikes coraline algae?

• It looks cool on the glass

Votes: 16 13.1%
  • I only let it grow on back glass

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • I only let it grow on the sides, not front or back

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • yuck I scrape it all off

Votes: 14 11.5%
  • mixed feelings about it

Votes: 20 16.4%

• Total voters

blue_eyes53813

Im trying to decide if coraline looks good or makes a tank look dark and dirty.My last tank I had coraline on all sides but the front. Everybody that looked at my tank commented on it and kinda turned up there nose. My new tank Im gonna try keeping it cleaned off the glass. Well maybe, it is already taking over.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I only let it grow on the overflow and rocks. I scrape it off of the glass. I like the 'clean' look :)

tally

i love the sight of coraline algae on the back and sides of the tank,, it emphasises a well mature aquarium.

Reefreak

Coraline on the rocks only for me. I scrape all the glass. Like the sparkling look. However, I can barely see into my fuge through the coraline.

mps9506

Ditto on scraping it. Not a fan of coralline on the glass. I like everything looking clean.

john

i always scrape off the glass but am considering leting it grow on the back,keeps the snails and stars happy!!

apjunky

I quit cleaning the sides because my Regal Tang wont stop fighting with his reflection . I did clean one side when I added a new tang a while back , it gave him something to do besides picking on the new guy .
Darren

blue_eyes53813

I guess its just a preference, I didnt really like it in my old tank, but I also dont like scraping all the time either. Everybody keep your bottoms clean,

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
Witfull said:
you forgot one,,,,i let it grow on the bottom...i love a nice pink bottom,,LOL

:LOL:

And you think I need therapy Witty? :rolleyes:

I keep mine on the back glass, rocks and bottom...I do not like it pink but white! :thumbup:

Cheers!
:columbo:

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I don't mind it on the back glass, but I do think it looks nice when its clean. I definately do like to have the bottom covered tho. The powerheads, like the large casings that the seios use, I want purple to match the back glass so that they blend together.

Barcochris

I love the look of coraline on everything but the front. I think it is great, I think that hte colors are beautiful

Cougra

I've hated coraline algae for a long time and have been trying to find ways to get rid of the stuff. I hate the pink colouration of it and hate scraping it off everything. I'm not even really fond of the pink rocks but haven't yet figured out a way to stop it from growing there without having to constantly turn my rocks over thus breaking all the little feather duster tubes and potentially making the rick pile unstable.

It's strange we go out of our way to buy really expensive rock because it's really pourous to help with the nitrogen cycle then we complacently allow an encrusting algae to grow all over it, blocking up all the small holes and crevases for water to flow through the rock and small animals to get in and out. What makes coraline any better then hair algae anyway? Is it just because the colour is different then what most people associate with algae?