Pod Hotel

Robzilla

I want to increase my pod population since my Melanurus Wrasse has decimated mine. I have no substrate, so it is harder for pods to find breeding ground. I have seen mention of "pod hotels" before, but have never actually seen one.

Does anybody have one? Or at least have an idea of how I should go about making one?

GlassMunky

DSC00777.jpg

DSC00778.jpg

You want one? I'll make you one any size or shape

Robzilla

Nice. Do they need chaeto? I have always been iffy about adding things like chaeto in my tank. Does it get enough light stuffed in a bottle and not turning like that?

GlassMunky

Yea, Its gets enough light and flow that the cheat grows out the holes. The only thing is that the glass starts to get covered with coraline, like everything else, which stops the light

soco

You can always just make a pile of small rock rubble in the back corner, or a pile of very small rocks in the sump. That way the pods have a place to reproduce but the other things cant get to em.

Glassmunky the bottle is pretty awesome though

I have had two of the ones from Big Jay in my tank for awhile. They work great! plenty of pods and good cheato growth.

Great to see someone else making them. Good option for those without a fuge.

RSM366.jpg

-JOHN

Robzilla

Welcome to RS! If you click on his user name above his picture, you can select and send him a private message and he can work out the shipping details with you.

BeachBum72

Yes, you can place some filter pad in your sump also that the pods can hang out on. All you need is some rubble in a small pile with not too much direct flow for them not to get eaten at once.

I was told you can do something like filter pads in a pod hotel as well

Robzilla

^Nice. I'm going to combine that with my other idea I think. I will cap off a small lenth of PVC and drill holes along the length that only the pods can get in and out of. I can put some filter pad inside the PVC pipe and stick the whole thing back behind my rock structure and out of sight.

@Glassmunky- If I had extra cash at the moment I'd hit you up on that.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Rob be sure to take some pics of your "Creation". You'll want to locate a nice fresh culture of "tishbe" pods to start your population with. They are more of a Bethnic type that are more likely to stay on solid surfaces (usually rock etc). If you want to have more variety get some tigriporus but they tend to stay more suspended in the water column.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Good looking out Al! I would have never known that. This is why I keep you around :)

Seriously. Rob wanting pics. C'mon al u should have been on that quicker. U guys make me laugh.

Matts DROIDX via Tapatalk