PLZ Help Still Have Problems w/ new 10gal reef

cheebman

hey fella's,

Posted a ? b4 on this.

I started a new 10gal reef for my mom. tank cycled for about 3 weeks.

10 pound live rock
15pounds live sand
aqua clear 70 filter filled w/ LR and carbon
130watt corallife light
50gph powerhead

the leather coral, tourch coral are doing well

star polyps, zoo's, xenia not doing well at all. star polpys wont open, zoo barley open and xenia looks sick.. people aid on here b4 to add some carbon. i did about a week ago. they also said trying addind some of my tank water from my reef on the next water change.. 2 days ago i did a 50% water change in the 10gal using my tank water (pristine).

today, still the 10gal looks the same.. no change.. WHATS GOING ON?

PLZ HELP THANKS.
:whip: :whip: :whip: :whip:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Sorry to hear about you having problems!

What are your most current water test results?

lcstorc

Hmm
Xenia is notoriously picky and intollerant of changes. It also can come back from nothing and be perfectly happy.
Is it a standard 10g? If so it might even be too much light for the softies. Try shading them a bit and see if they perk up. Best suggestion I have anyway.
Al has a 10g so I would listen to him.

burning2nd

IME Xenia doesnt do well in new tanks...

this tank is what about a month old? a month and a week?
keep in mind that small tanks are harder to keep.... TO me it sounds like you really rushed things..

here is the life of my 10g... 19month's
Picture3001895.jpg

month1
Picture029.jpg

Picture043-1.jpg

lighting upgrade
Picture006.jpg

Picture3002047.jpg

burning2nd

Picture3002219.jpg

Picture3002217.jpg

all of the coarls except for the recordia, and a few zoo's where lost... altho i was able to frag that plate monti.... (not so well)

at this point i kinda new that the tank was not ready for sps and lps's
Picture3002396.jpg

the acro i saved by movieng to my tank.
Picture3002381-2.jpg

gone
Picture3002446.jpg

moved to my tank.
Picture3002879.jpg

at this point the tank was about 6 months old... it was starting to clear up faster... not need as meny water changes..
i didnt have a fish.... only after i had a fish was it hard again...
Picture3002880.jpg

Picture3003200.jpg

and today
Picture281.jpg

i think you should test your water completely right now.
temp, sality, Nh3-Nh4 Ph, ALK, CA, Mag, Po4 no2-no3

where is your source water comeing from..... I found that the tank did better after i added about 10 more lbs....
hope i can help you some how...

surfzone

I would move the affected corals to your other tank until you can figure out the issue here. if it is the fact that the 10 is too new then give it a few months

cheebman

Hey Fella's

Thanks for the input. Im going to go get a water test done today.
This is only my 2nd tank ive started.. my first one whick is listed in my signature only cycled for 2 weeks b4 adding about 1/2 of all my coral. everything did fine and water parms. were always dead on the money. So this whole thing about tank not being ready and may need more time is new to me :) it just seems weird. i used the same live sand, cycled rock, ro water, same salt, 1lb live rock per gallon of water... so i dont know why this 10gal is having such a hard time :(

thanks

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I presume the "White specs" are micro bubbles being put out by a pump/power head.

It looks like he decided to go Bare Bottom and do away with the sand.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hey Fella's

Thanks for the input. Im going to go get a water test done today.
This is only my 2nd tank ive started.. my first one whick is listed in my signature only cycled for 2 weeks b4 adding about 1/2 of all my coral. everything did fine and water parms. were always dead on the money. So this whole thing about tank not being ready and may need more time is new to me :) it just seems weird. i used the same live sand, cycled rock, ro water, same salt, 1lb live rock per gallon of water... so i dont know why this 10gal is having such a hard time :(

thanks

Each tank is it's own individual entity and will act (cycle) differently. One thing to keep in mind is that the 10g is approximately 1/3 the size of your original tank. EVERYTHING will be different in that tank. I'm speaking from experience in that I have a 90g, 12g, 10g and 6g tank. Even the 12g and 10g are different in how they act/work and I use the same salt, water and everything in them.

Good luck :)

cheebman

Hey,

got my water tested.. Dont know the exact numbers but the LFS said the water is fine.. So now i dont know what is going on.

Thanks

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hey,

got my water tested.. Dont know the exact numbers but the LFS said the water is fine.. So now i dont know what is going on.

Thanks

Hey buddy! Glad you got your water tested but never EVER accept a "water's FINE" from anyone. You need to know & track the actual numbers. What's "Fine" in their tanks may be what's causing the problem in yours. Not to be a "Downer" but keep in mind they are there to SELL product so FINE could mean "Gonna buy more product to take care of a problem that could be resolved easily".....

:)

burning2nd

yep.... the sand became harder and harder to keep clean in the back beneath the rock work...

i switched tanks.... (was a 5.5 with the same) and went to a 10...
when i did i lost the same..

i cant really tell ya exactly whats up but like it was already said... every tank is different.. the tank will change just from changing the flow... or rock work.

so i wish you luck... and remember this tank is quite sensitive being as small as it is...

burning2nd

the white things in the tank are micro bubbles..... besides what everyone says... i believe that braking the surface tension is key..

in the tanks that dont have over flows.... i have a micro bubble wood stone on a timer.. runing a few times a day for a little bit....

i put the air block under a power head so it moves thur out the tank quicker.... cleans the water up right quick.. IME

complaining about the salt creep only comes from the lazy.