Please recommend a test kit...

csmsss

I've just gotten back into the hobby and acquired a 29 gallon reef tank. Can you recommend a comprehensive test kit that will not bankrupt me that can accurately test for all the major reef parameters? I'm thinking at a minimum, I'll need a kit that can handle:

pH
Nitrate
Iodine
Phosphates
Calcium
Total alkalinity
Dissolved oxygen

Did I leave anything out? Any response will be greatly appreciated.

DAHansen

I've found some great prices on the Salifert test kits - that a lot of folks recommend - from one of our Sponsors... can't remember who... :doh: But they were all individually priced and most were under $20, instead of over $20.

I've actually been looking myself for a full set of tests in one package, and haven't found anything great. There are a couple out there that seem ok for around $80 or so, but they all include nitrite, nitrate, and ammonia. I found that the cheap test kits that include those ($30-$40) along with PH work reasonably well.

Also, if you're sneaky, you can calibrate them against your LFS's test kits, if they will test your water for you with high-quality test kits (most will).

HTH,
Dave

framerguy

You need to add magnesium, ammonia and nitrite to that list of tests. Unless you are actually adding iodine you don't need that test. Adding iodine is risky business and can easily throw your tank into a tailspin...that's the voice of experience talking. Save your pennies and get a pH monitor..or better yet a controller with temp and pH monitoring. A simple glance will tell you if you have a problem. I can't stress how nice they are. With all that said, I have used API and Salifert with success. They are relatively inexpesive and easy to use and seem accurate.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I agree with FramerGuy. You'll need to add magnesium, amm &nitrIte to your list

I use API for quick daily testing and Salifert for more precise testing.

Since my reef is cycled, I only test for nitrAte, calcium, alkalinity & magnesium on a regular basis; I use a refractometer to test salinity and I have a PH monitor.
I do use the API ammonia & nitrIte kits on my rotifer cultures and clownfish larvae tank.

I have a strontium test kit that I've only used a few times. It is a complex test kit.

I do have a dissolved oxygen test kit (LaMotte) that I have only used a few times. It is very a very complex test.

mps9506

Any reason you want the DO test?
It's something you really probably don't need. Like Woodstock mentioned, most of my reef buddies that have purchased them used them once or twice. I also agree with framerguy on the iodine. I consider that a trace element that I don't test for or dose, let the water changes handle it.

The Salifert and Elos test kits are pretty popular among the members here:
Salifert: Premium Aquatics
Elos: Premium Aquatics
Phishy Business
Phishy Business