Please help I poisoned my tank

MrPex

My intent is not to offend here, but to get clarification.

How could a container labeled like this be confused with a bottle of tank water?

I'm all for re-using old containers, especially plastic, when able, but putting chemicals into mis-labeled containers is just plain reckless if that's what happened here- meaning someone was expecting tank water to be stored in a container labeled like this.

steved13

PREMIUM
The label is on the front, from the back, the bottle is similar to the bottle used to take the tank water for testing. When I was done testing, I put the unused tank water back in the tank (As I asked no lectures, I know this shouldn't be done for this very reason), only it was the wrong bottle. The bottle was not mis-labeled, I took a picture of the bottle with the label to show the ingredients I put into the tank. If it were mis-labeled why would I post a picture of the label?

If you don't want to offend maybe you should have left off the last paragraph. Making assumptions that someone did what you suggest, and calling them reckless, could be offensive. Kind of like saying I don't mean to offend; but I think you're an idiot. I didn't take offense but someone sure could have.

MrPex

If you don't want to hear information you don't agree with, don't post.

You said don't lecture- in no way did I personally attack you or lecture you- I specifically asked for clarification of how this happened then referenced my personal reason for asking my question: any time anything is put into a labeled container where the container's label does not clearly state the contents or could be casually confused is a recipe for disaster per common sense.

I didn't say you were stupid or attack you in some other way. I didn't even say YOU did anything. I asked how this happened, then explained my thoughts as to why I asked it. I didn't even imply YOU did it or even that what I thought might have happened is what actually happened, hence the IF in my statement.

If I were to "lecture" you, it would have started like this, but gone on a little bit longer. I think I was considerably restrained in my OP:

At a personal level, and the cause for my passion- this particular type of mistake led to an ex-girlfriend's step-father taking several swallows of an aqueous solution of NaOH (Lye) that led to him permanently losing the function of his larynx- he was never able to talk normally again.

At a commercial level, this could have been a mistake that could have cost a company a lot of money. Further, if you live within the US, which your personal information indicates, there are actually laws that cover labeling of chemicals or placing chemicals in labeled containers that are mis-labeled or where the label can cause mis-identification of the contents - whether the containers are in a commercial environment or within a private residence.

The point of RS is not to post a question to hear only what you want to hear- it is an open forum and you will often get opinions you don't agree with, even if you consider them tangential to what you are asking.

Contemplating those opinions is what leads to how we as people, as well as our reefs, grow.

steved13

PREMIUM
Post deleted, by author.

I think I need to stay out of the chemistry forum. I got back into this hobby to help myself relax.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I think it's time to chill out. JMO, but the issue has been resolved, the reasons for it happening were clearly stated (human error with similar bottles), and it's really serving no purpose to continue on with the way this thread is going.

steved13

PREMIUM
Mrpex, I wasn't taking what you said as a lecture, I didn't think you were lecturing me.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
One of the many things I did in my past life of being employed was acting as a Quality Process "guru", and was taught early in the game that when problems arose you don't start start shooting arrows and looking who to blame. You look for the root cause of the problem and eliminate it, so that it doesn't happen again. Pretty simple.

steved13

PREMIUM
Terry, very true, however in this case everyone knows who to blame already, the dope who did it...ME. Posting blame only makes it more difficult for people to be honest and for you to find out the true facts.