please help bryopsis

jimv

I removed all of my blue leg hermit crabs from my main tank and went with a snail only CUC after this I noticed GHA popping up all over my tank. It was a slow process so I did not make the association. I manually removed as much as I could a few weeks ago but it started slowly coming back. At the suggestion of my LFS I just purchased a couple of dozen red leg hermit crabs. I put them in my QT that had a couple of GHA covered rocks and they wiped them spotless in 5 days. I wish I took before and after pictures. The rocks literally had a two inch carpet of the stuff. I originally removed the crabs because they kept stealing food from my coral but my fish and cleaner shrimp do this anyway. If you can put up with them killing your snails and stealing your coral's food it may be worth it. I can't get them out of QT and into my main tank quick enough. 5 weeks to go...

Surfnut

Sadly Jimv, Green Hair Algae and Bryopsis are two completely different issues. Green Hair Algae can, and will, be eaten by nearly all herbivores. Bryopsis has something in it most herbivores find distasteful.

Oxylebius

I have red and blue hermits to keep algae in check. Keeping a lot of extra shells in the tank helps keep your snails alive as the hermits are continuously switching shells on a regular basis.

Snid

I would think that dramatically changing the chemical balance of water with anything runs the risk of stressing anything living in that environment even if it isn't directly harmful. Imagine if you were in a room and then suddenly some form of noticeable, yet non-toxic, gas filled the air. You'd probably feel uncomfortable and not behave normally. This is essentially what is happening to fish when systems get dosed. The water they breath has changed.

Coraljunkie

Today I ended up taking my livestock and putting them in my ten gallon and I emptied my 28 gallon cube, I took all the rocks out and trashed the sand, I was thinking of filling the tank up with water and then dumping two bottles of peroxide in it letting it run a couple days then draining in then filling it up with just water and some carbon and let that run a few days, in the meantime what should I do with my rocks? I want to reuse them, I don't want to acid dip or boil them, I was thinking letting them dry then soak them in a 50 50 peroxide and water? When all said and done the tank will have to cycle again right? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated

david42

Drying the rock in the sun will kill everything. Including the beneficial bacteria.
Once everything dies off, rinse rocks thoroughly to get everything out.
You are correct in that you will need to cycle, or cure the rock.
It will be base rock ag

david42

That is what I did when I upgraded tanks.
Dry them out, scrub them clean, and rinse thoroughly.
Anything you add to clean them, you have to worry if rocks soak anything up to release later.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I sure hate to read that you tore down your tank because of Bryopsis Coraljunkie :(
Here I am thinking I can get rid of this stuff...I think this thread just made me sick :barf:

Coraljunkie

Well the good news is its back up and running, fully cycled and live stock back in the tank, also new and improved reef scape. I uploaded pics in my reef chronicle

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I'm glad you didn't "throw in the towel" on the whole hobby.
I just feel like I have too much to lose....my tank is 18 months mature & all my corals are growing so pretty.
I was just to the point of sitting back & watching it all fill in.
Now it might be filling in with Bryopsis... Very depressing :(