please help bryopsis

Coraljunkie

I've got bryopsis in my tank, it came in on a clam shell from an lfs and it spread like wild fire, I've tried raising the magnesium using kent tech m, I'm assuming it's reformulated because it didn't work, all it did was diminish my pod population and stress my bta, I've read that lettuce nudibranch will eat it so I was wondering if anyone had success with this technique, unfortunately I didn't come across that info before i tried raising the magnesium, any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated

Surfnut

Depending on the size of your tank get a Sea Hare or Dwarf Sea Hare: They are one of the few solutions to Bryopsis I have found. And the lil buggers look kinda cool too. I've seen the Dwarfs sell for $15-$35 and the large Sea Hare go for $25-$50. Completely reef safe. Harmless vegetarian.

Snid

I recently got a long spined sea urchin and he has been plowing through GHA like a monster. Nom... Nom... Nom...

I also have a couple of Emerald Crabs and Turbo Snails that have been working on it too.

I also like your approach to the Lettuce Nudibranch, and have been considering getting a Caribbean Lettuce Sea Slug myself. I think they are attractive, like roaming corals.

Coraljunkie

Yeah I don't want urchins I've heard they eat coraline algae and I would like to keep mine lol I'm gonna try the lettuce nudibranch but it's not easy getting those up here in Boston,

Coraljunkie

Yeah I checked it out too but they're out of stock and the shipping alone is around 40 bucks, that's my last resort of getting one lol but I will do it if I have to, currently I have no cuc aside from an enormous amount of pods which unfortunately almost completely died off from the elevated magnesium, never had to add anything because I never had any algae but now this bryopsis is depressing me. I stay away from crabs and shrimp though, I don't trust them, any type of snail I should get? Besides the Mexican turbo, too big for my tank

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Hey there :)

Try the blue sea hare..... I believe I got one a while back from tropic isle. If it works and cleans it out then I'm sure you can trade or sell it locally, I might even borrow it from you as I have a few strands popping up now to, from where I don't know! I'm removing the rocks this weekend and cutting the affected piece away with the dremel which should works cause it's only in a few places.

Be prepared to throw everything away and get new rock, that stuff is nasty! Or you can set up a side tank with stupid high levels of mg to see if that'll save the rock.

Surfnut

Lettuce nudi do not generally eat bryopsis in my experience. Sea Hares are the only animal I have had 100% success with when it comes to bryopsis.

CoralJunkie - For your 28 gallon I recommend a single dwarf sea hare. It will keep the bryopsis, and any other algae, in your tank in check.

Coraljunkie

How can I lower my magnesium level? Should I do water changes with a salt that has nothing in it or should I use what I've been using?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Yeah you're going to need to do it via water changes. A few 10g changes should help level it out.

Snid

I thought about this thread when I was at one of my LFS today. I picked up a couple of Lettuce Sea Slugs today. They're chillin' in the QT right now. The LFS had a huge Brown Spotted Sea Hare. This sucker was the size of my neighbor's dog almost! Literally. Almost the same size as my wife's Blue & Gold Macaw. I was so mesmerized that I probably just watched it for 10 minutes.

Recently whipped a tank take over of this garbage. I employed the following methods: Kent Tech M, lettuce nudis, & a tuxedo urchin. The nudis were completely useless. You'll spend more time fishing them out of overflows then they'll spend eating bryopsis.

The tuxedo urchin was amazing. Love him. Best 20 dollars I ever spent.

The Kent tech m I dosed heavy for a couple days and seemed to be working.

Lots of time picking at rocks and a coral beauty that refused to eat anything else for a week didnt hurt.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Keep using the same one...... No reason to switch it up but obviously it'll take more changes.