Planning on new tank- want to add bluespot

bennyjet

I am starting up a 34 gal tank and I want to eventually get a bluespot. Any recomendations as to how much sand to add and any other important advice. :bluenod:

Cassette87

Exactly what Jeff said, and keep in mind they are excellent jumpers and escape artists, so you will want to BSJF-proof your tank!

bluespotjawfish

So, how on earth did I miss this new thread? Welcome!

The aggregate should be of varying sizes. Stay away from sand with very sharp edges.

Keep us posted on your progress! :wave:

bluespotjawfish

Oh, I'd also check out the screen tops that Scott and I have built for our tanks. I'll have to track down that post for you.

I'm back, here is the link to Scott's. I used a black frame and it is almost invisible on the tank. I got my frame kit from Lowe's. I had to get a few extra corner pieces separately because my frame has 6 sides to allow for the flow returns.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/bluespot-club/16244-bluespot-club-35.html#post247782

lcstorc

Not sure what else you are planning to put in the tank but I would go for more passive fish. Bluespots have been known to chase away some pretty big fish but why risk it.

michael_cb_125

I agree with Lynn. My Jose is a mean little fishy, but I think that the more passive the tank, the less stress that will be put on your little BS. Remember that with these fish the stress=death in many cases. Good luck on your Blue Spotted adventure. If you do get one, you will instsntly fall in love.

michael_cb_125

Also if it is possible, add the Bluespot First. This will allow hi to acclimate to his surroundings, withoiut be harrased or bothered by other less awesome fish.:)

bennyjet

thanks for all the advice. I am pretty much building the tank for my little spot. I like the idea of getting him first and letting him acclimate to his home. Also, I have read that having too much sand in a tank is not a good thing. Since i will be putting in at least 4 inches are there any problems i can forsee with that?

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
You should not have any problems having a 4" sand bed, especially with a jawfish to move it around. I have a 20 gallon tank with a 6" sand bed! Make sure your tank is fully cycled, stress free and jump proof before introducing this species. How exciting!:D

bennyjet

Scott,
I am excited too. I am confused about what size and kind of sand to use. I am going to use live sand- but not sure what type or size to choose. Should i mix it with coral sand? And believe me... i will not get him until the tank is perfect.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
You know what Michelle, you are probably going to get a range of answers here. Really, I don't think it matters as long as they have lots of rubble with which to build their burrows. They will take pieces of shell, rock, coral into the burrow to support the walls so that they don't cave in. They are master carpenters of the reef! I have a mixture of crushed coral and fine sand and my BS has no problems with the likes of it. Here is an example of my gravel and BS!:D

DSC_0002-5.jpg

bennyjet

Thanks Scott. I have read a few things since i posted this and it sounds like i really need to make sure they have the rubble to build with.:snshne:

bluespotjawfish

Hi Michelle,

How is the project coming along? The rubble is important, but a gradated sand is just as important. My 50 had a lot of rubble, but I used a single sized aggregate. The poor thing couldn't build anything that would last (it kept caving in on him). I also incorporate things like clam shell halves.

Lorraine