Plan and a list of things for a 10G

I have a 10g that I would like to turn it into a Nano reef.
I'm probably not adding any fish or shrimp to the tank (only corals). Or maybe one shrimp or one goby, I will have to see how stable the tank is going to be before deciding.

A List of things I need to get:

1) 10 lbs of LR (most likely would be cured Fiji, widely available in my LFS)

2) 10 lbs of LS

3) Koralia Nano (Is this enough for a reef tank? It is rated at 265GPH)

4) Coralife quad 96 watts PC light

50% w/c will be done on a weekly basis (Mix of RO water with Instant Ocean). Would this be too much w/c?
There would be no protein skimmer or any filtration systems for the tank. No heater if possible, my room temp has always been kept at 73F. The PC light would be producing some heat to keep the tank warm as well.

Lime water will be added on a daily basis if necessary.

Let me know what do u think about this set up. Thanks.

chipmunkofdoom2

Heater is necessary. A heater is used mostly for consistency, but in your case, 73* is not warm enough for a reef. PCs don't really heat the water that much.

I think a Koralia nano would be enough, but I'm not sure how you'd want to place it.. maybe a Koralia nano and another powerhead pointed at each other? Or 2 Koralia nanos?

I would skip the PC fixture.. penetration and PAR output isn't great, regardless of wattage. I'm a fan of LEDs, but they're not practical for every application. Perhaps a 70w HQI? You can DIY a "pendant" for pretty cheap, as low as $70 depending on parts. I'd recommend T5s over MH, of course, but a 70w HQI might be more feasible for this tank.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
COD is right on here (as usual).

Heater is mandatory! Even "If" your lights did produce enough heat to maintain 78 degrees when they are on, you don't run them 24/7 and consistency is the key to success in a reef tank.

I'm running a 10g Reef tank (about to his birthday #3 in 2 weeks) and I have T5's over it and LOVE them. I'm running 24" (24w" T5's) and my coral growth is VERY good in this tank.

Also I like a LOT of flow. To decide if that single K-Nano is enough (I'd like to see more) you need to research what coral you want to keep. In a large tank you can have HIGH flow and with careful planning also have coral that need LOW flow with careful placement. In a 10g tank you wont have as much flexibility. In my 10g I have 2x Koralia Nano and 1 Koralia #1 in addition to the 250 gph pump I have feeding my Hang On Back (HOB) Fuge.

All I want to keep in my tank is some beginners corals such as zoas, mushrooms, LPS, leathers, etc. They are all in a small 10g tank (shallow tank).

And I'm not sure there is 70w MH available out there. The minimum is 150w for MH that I know of. I'm not a DIY type of guy and not comforrable dealing with possible fire hazzardous items on my own.

If I really need to have a MH light, I would probably get one from the store. It gives me a peace of mind.

Sure they're available...
70W K-2 Viper HQI Fixture by JBJ - AquaCave

that's just one example.

But I'm more of a T5 kinda guy especially since you're not after any of the HIGH light demanding corals.

Ok, I see you are running a 24" T5 (24w). The 10g tank is 20" in length. I guess the light comes with adjustable legs? It only has 24w and your corals are doing great? I have always been thinking high wattage the light, the brighter light it produces. Why would you prefer a T5 lighting that has only 24w bulb over a PC that has 96w?

Last edited: