Pistol shrimp question

Carrie

We purchased a pistol shrimp and a Randall goby a few days ago. We haven't seen the shrimp since we released him! I do hear his snap sound every once in a while, a couple times a day. Will he be okay? There is no other evidence that he exists!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

One thing I have seen adding new shrimp, is they often molt & go into hiding while their new exoskeleton hardens. Hopefully he is okay & will re-appear in a few days :nessie:

Marty.h

We purchased a pistol shrimp and a Randall goby a few days ago. We haven't seen the shrimp since we released him! I do hear his snap sound every once in a while, a couple times a day. Will he be okay? There is no other evidence that he exists!
That's how some are you will hear them but hardly see them :(

Carrie

I was afraid he was in the filter. I made my husband look. Sure enough, there he was. :/ I am just getting off work, but my husband said he looks okay. I will post an update in a day or so.

Attachments

• 2015-11-06 20.39.49.jpg
    2015-11-06 20.39.49.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 17

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
still might be his molt, looks identical to him, unless he is moving :) Glad to hear ... either way, he is fine ! Look forward to all pics ! :clownfish:

SubRosa

The shrimp is going to dig a burrow if it can. But who are you to presume that he'll orient it for your enjoyment?:yup:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hello Carrie :wave:
:rbwwelc:WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary :crowd:

Hope all is well now with your pistol shrimp :fingerscrossed:
How BIG is your tank & how deep in your sandbed :fishy:
Start a tank thread & share some pictures....
We love pictures! :D
Very BEST WISHES....:cruiser:

Carrie

Kevin has dug him out of the filter twice and has now covered the fikter with a mesh. The shrimp is MIA, so we hope he will show up sometime. :) Thank you everyone for your input. I will start a new thread with some pics of our system.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
nice vid !

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

Carrie

Thanks for the video! That's cool. My shrimp is happiest in the filter. :/ My husband fishes him out and after a couple minutes, he swims back up there. He just snaps away in the evenings. He seems happy and healthy in there. Kevin put a mesh over the filter but he still managed to get in and food was just getting caught in it, so Kevin removed it. I guess he will just have to live there until he is a little bigger. I don't know.