Pinched Mantle question

Rye_84

I have a gigas that is definitely showing signs of pinched mantle. As well as a derasa that is beginning to show a slight sign. I have done some researching and have found the only hope of saving them is a freshwater bath. My question is I have a crocea that seams to be fine, as of now. Should I do a FWB on all of them? or just the two that are showing signs. I feel that I should do all three. I cant get a picture of the mantle because of the angle and where they are positioned in the tank.

chris&barb

photos would help. ive seen a lot of people swear they have PM when they dont. This is what to look for.

mantlebefore2dp1.jpg

you can see the upward and inward curling of the mantle, thats the biggest indicator along with slimming from the shell edge.

as already stated check for pyram snails, aiptasia on the shell and please post Alk and Ca #'s.

If it turns out to be PM you have more options then just FWD's. ive gotten rid of it just by running carbon.

Rye_84

This is the clam as of this morning. When the halide is on parts of the mantle will be fully extended, while other parts are all crumpled in on each other.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 49

Rye_84

ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
nitrate less than 5
phosphate 0
copper 0
salinity 1.024
dkh looks like it is just under 8 so I am working on getting that up
copper 0
ph 8.2

Rye_84

I got it from a guy who was taking down his tank. He said he had had it for a year or so. I have had it for almost 2 months now and it has been doing fine up until the past 3 days. I would say it is roughly a foot long or so. Also I have noticed that my cleaner shrimp has been picking at a clear film between the mantle and the shell. The shrimp makes the mantle retract a lot. Should I remove the shrimp for awhile? or is it a good thing to let him pick at whatever the film is?

Frankie

RS STAFF
No I would pull the shrimp. It look like it is on it's way out to me. It is gaping, loss of color and has PM. Not the best of issues for a clam. I am glad Chris&Barb are in this thread, they might be able to tell you better then I.
All your water tests look good. What kits are you using?
I would cross reference with another kit or have the lfs test the water also just to be on the safe side.
I would also go over the entire system and be sure there is nothing wrong with the equipment or something fell into the aquarium. It looks just like a clam I saw once after this guy's grand kid tossed his penny collection into his sump.

Witfull

gigas are a more open than other tridacnids. i think that its pinched because its been injured and irritated by the shrimp. it may recover in a week without further damage.

chris&barb

No I would pull the shrimp. It look like it is on it's way out to me. It is gaping, loss of color and has PM. Not the best of issues for a clam. I am glad Chris&Barb are in this thread, they might be able to tell you better then I.
All your water tests look good. What kits are you using?
I would cross reference with another kit or have the lfs test the water also just to be on the safe side.
I would also go over the entire system and be sure there is nothing wrong with the equipment or something fell into the aquarium. It looks just like a clam I saw once after this guy's grand kid tossed his penny collection into his sump.

It does look a little like Don's clams.

for right now if you are running any phosphate removers remove them and replace them with lots of fresh carbon. Don't worry about using too much. The carbon is best used in some type of reactor or canister filter at full flow, what your trying to do is scrub the water so the more carbon and the faster the flow the better.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Yeah lets not show this thread to Don and remind him ;)
Great advice on the scrubbing. Also great call on the before shots. I didn't even think of it.

Rye_84

so this is when the clam was healthy. I had to crop it to make it fit on here. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if it gets any better. The derasa is looking like hell as well, but the crocea still looks great. I'm really confused as to what is going on because nothing else besides the two clams are having any issues.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 18

Witfull

the derasa and gigas are on the bottom of the tank correct? where is the crocea? did the shrimp go near the crocea?