Picking the right hood

vsiege

I was looking to purchase a new 37 gallon starter kit for a marine setup. I'm planning on having corals, seahorses, and plants in the tank. I was wondering what kind of hood/light to pick. Each starter kit comes with a different light and I'm guessing each will have to be changed. I feel the marineland kit comes with a better more well-known filter but the hood and leds will not be enough to support all but I would choose it for the filter..... light and hood suggestions?

Top Fin kit (comes with 30" Fluorescent Light with Bulb)

Marineland kit (comes with led hood (not suitable for plants as far as I know))

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
First, think about the types of corals you really want to keep. Anything that has a high demand for lighting would not fare well under either of these setups. If you wanted to keep softies (or any other types of corals that are non-photosynthetic) you could keep them, but you would have to cater to their diets and feed them by hand. Most reefers don't keep 'plants' in their tanks, but do keep macro algae. The best advice I can give you is don't rush into a purchase until you are sure it can support the habitat you are trying to create.
Also, beware those horses of the sea! *in my most scary voice*
A seahorse can be difficult to keep. Make sure you read up on the particular subspecies you want to care for and go from there. I am sure there are specialty forums out there somewhere to help out.

vsiege

Thanks for the quick response. I am doing a lot of rearch before purchasing anything (but the size is a definite). I know that seahorses in general are very hard to keep and like a very non-competitive environment with plenty of long elements in the tank to grasp on as well as a taller rather than wider tank (for mating). So while I do more research on the sub-species heres my thoughts on two general directions to go in:

1. Plastic plants to start and photosynthetic corals

2. non-photosynthetic corals with macro algae

I know thats still pretty general but if that helps you, are there two different options that I can grow with (meaning: have the ability to update the bulb/led without constantly changing to a new hood)

N83259

Non-photosynthetic corals are excellent and can and do thrive with the right care. However they rely on planktonic foods, disolved wastes etc. to feed. They require a more mature tank where the water parameters are stable and algae is under control, so take your time. You need to perfect a feeding program where they get enough to eat, the right things to eat....all without fouling the water. You need to figure out how to effectively export that uneaten, small food effectively on a regular basis. Periodic mechanical filtration and regular water changes work for me.

I think NP corals would be ideal w/ seahorses b/c I think they often eat the same size and types of food (don't have seahorses myself though. Good luck.

vsiege

THANKS! :square: I will def. take my time and let the tank mature. Either the Fluorescent light or LED hood should be fine then with NP coral - any favorites (coral)?

DaveK

More to the point, I think that your trying to do too much with the tank. You are selecting comparatively difficult to keep items, that have different requirements, and plan to keep them in one tank. I'm not saying that it can't be done, but it's going to require maintaining a very delicate balance.

I suggest you rethink what you you want to keep in the tank, and choose either corals, or seahorses, or macro algae. You'll be able to meet the requirements of the livestock better that way. This doesn't mean you can't at some point add other items.

As for plastic plants, in my opinion, they just "look so plastic", and since most copy FW plants, they tend to look out of place in a SW tank. I'd only use them if you have a specific reason to. For example, you want to tank to look like a sea grass bed and give your seahorses a lot of places to latch on to, plastic plants might be the ideal choice, since actual sea grass can be difficult to keep.

vsiege

Not a big fan of plastic either... thought there might be so low maintenance and safe macro algae to use. I have read that there are.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Also due to the nature of seahorses "clinging" most of the time odds are they'll be stung/irritated by most coral. They have a very unique skin composition and unfortunately don't do well with "skin issues" (aka stings). Many MANY coral have some degree of "stinging cells" and it's just not very good to keep seahorses with most coral.

Also keep in mind that most of our coral like upper 70's for temps and seahorses really need to be a bit cooler.

As Dave mentioned you're trying to combine many varied elements into one tank. It "can" be done but the odds are stacked heavily against you. Why not try one route or the other... get accustomed to the intricacies of Salt Water and then as your experience and knowledge grow so will your tank(s).

vsiege

Thanks for your feedback. I don't think I was going with anythign more serious than gorgonians and branch sponges due to their sensitive nature. Those are safe from what I know.