Picasso Clown/Hamster Ball

zenzence

I purchase a very small juvenile picasso clown and well hes so small I really dont want to just let him go. So I got a small hamster ball and placed him inside to perhaps let his tank mates get used to him. I also plan on letting him grown a little before releasing him?

Thoughts????

N83259

Bad idea! Hamsters are not reef safe!

Seriously......I can't imagine any problems, as long as you can get food to the fish and water can circulate in the ball. Lots of books recommend using a hang-on acrylic box for aclimation and most fish stores do it.

zenzence

What????? Hamsters arnt reef safe hahahahah!!! Well my plan is to lift the ball and feed him once a day. I had him in a QT for nearly 8 weeks I just feel like its time to move him to the main display. But damn he is so freaking small no more than 2 inches MAX! I already have a single clown,yellow tail damsel and a candy stripe shrimp so just concerned they will not be very friendly.

Tokalosh

To be perfectly honest with you I don’t think he would come to any harm.
If you have sufficient hiding places then you got nothing to worry about.

Can you imagine going diving off the GBR and seeing all these hamster balls with small fish in them? :ponder2:

Tok

catran

Wow, zenzence, he is such a little cutie!! Great idea with the hamster ball, I'll have to try that when I get mine from Doni.

zenzence

catran,
Well my though behind this was to allow my other fish to maye get used to him before I cut him loose. I had him in there for about 2 day when well the lid somehow managed to wiggle loose and he escaped the hamster ball. So if you try it you may need to find a way to secure the lid. I thought maybe super glue a thin piece of rubber to the lip of the hamster ball. This way when you turn the lid on it will be a little more snug.
Oh by the way i got my picasso from doni as well! Great guy incredible customer service.

Chad

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
How's the little one doing after getting out of the hamster ball? Hopefully he's not being bothered.

catran

Yeah, how is he doing after his escape? I hope the damsel doesn't bully him! He's so very small, how big is the damsel?
Yeah, I've read Doni's thread and believe she is the best breeder period. She's, IMO the only one I would consider buying picasso's from. I wish she sold Onyx perc's though. I'm going to get a pair each of picasso/reg. perc's and Onyx/reg. perc's eventually.

zenzence

Catran,
Funny you ask I got home today and couldn't find him anywhere! I looked for bout 15 min when I finally found him in the overflow!! So I quickly placed him back in hamsterball where I plan to leave him for a week or so.