Phosphate Levels/ Powerhead

Bg3489

I have two quick questions... First off I tested my Phosphate levels today and they were between .5-1.0 ppm. I use RO/DI water and Instant Ocean salt and really dont feed too much.. What could be the cause of these phosphates and how much should I worry? Also I wanted to add more flow to my 115 gallon reef tank. I keep a clam, some softies, a few lps hard corals, brains, mushrooms, Gorgonian, etc. I have just a pipe hooked up to a pump now That is in the middle of the tank and flows toward the right wall. This is really not enough flow ( I don't know the specs on the pump, etc, I did not install or purchase it). But I was wondeing what kinda of a powerhead and pump if needed should I get? I was lookign at maxi-jets and others but didnt know the proper flow rate for my tank. Should one more powerhead suffice or is more reccomened? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
What are you dosing ? Are you adding any filter feeding foods ? How long has this tank been cycled and did you cure the rock in your tank ?

AFA the flow since you have mostly LPS and softies I would add a couple of powerheads opposite each other with at least 800gph each, maybe the Seio M820 Pump 820gph or even better the Tunze stream.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...OD&Product_Code=RIO-SEIO820&Category_Code=RIO

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Tunze_pumps

Bg3489

I dose Kent Superbuffer for dkh, turbo calcium for Ca, and I feed Roti-Feast and Phyto-Feast around 5 times combined per week. I occassionally feed mysis and flake food for my fish. Tank was set up in my house in august but had water, live sand, and live rock from a previously established tank that was up for at least a year or two possibly more.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Are you having any algal issues with the po4 that high ? Which test kit are you using and which brand ?

The filter feeding foods are high in PO4 so should be dosed carefully maybe reducing it to a couple of times a week would be good. Another option would be to use po4 reducing media like RowaPhos or Phosban.

2455coop

According to my new API Reef Master Test Kit,"phosphates come from fish and invertebrate waste and decaying organic material, such as dead algae and uneaten fish food." I used a phosphate pad to remove excess phosphtes. It looks like a filter pad and I used it with my exsisting filter media.

As far as flow in the tank I have a 75 gal D.A.S. and my return pump is 650 g/h. And I have 3 smaller pumps placed around the tank. One placed low under the return and the other 2 placed on the opposite side blowing back to the return. I never make my heads blow straight. I position my heads to blow against rocks and other sides of the tank so i get a swirling effect.

i use ViaAqua 360's. I like these little pumps cause they are a lot smaller than regular powerheads. These pumps are inexpensive and about 2"x3".

A source of good reading comes from GARF. http://www.garf.org/

bluespotjawfish

I found Phosphates in my water conditioner (Stresscoat). If you want to determine if one of your additives is going into the tank with phosphates, you can test your WC water, then add your additive or supplement to the WC water (external to the tank), and then test that. If you want to test several items, just set up smaller containers and put one supplement in each. You can add a bit more additive than you would use in the tank so that it shows up better on the test. Compare the results to the original test for the WC water. You might want to also set up a container that includes everything, in case it is all of them in smaller amounts.

IME, if you already have some mechanical filteration (like socks) and a protein skimmer, a phosphate filter pad won't change the level much cause it is really just collecting stuff. I would use something like ROWAPhos. You need a very fine filter bag or reactor to use it though.

Good luck finding the source.

Bg3489

I just went to the LFS to re-test and found that I most likely just mixed up the Phospahte test. The colors were close together and i must have mixed them up! In regards to the powerheads I am considering either teh Seio or Maxi-jet. Is two enough for a 115 gallon tank and is it possible for anybody to suggest where to place them? Also can I run these off my current pump or do I need to buy a new one? Thanks

bluespotjawfish

I have a 125 gallon and I use a Maxi-jet 1200 (rated at 295 gph) on one end of the tank and my return flow (that is about 500-600 gph) on the other. The Maxi-jet is run on it's own power (just plug it in).

craig7220

I also have a 125 gal. and run 4 max-jet 1200, 2 on each end. I also have found that the best way for me to keep the phosphates in control is to run a phosban reactor.. using 150 mg of media that I change once a month.

fishhead

i thought 50 GPH was about right for a Phosban150 Reactor. I try to get 150 grams to just tumble at the top, but not rise into the column. Just intalled it 3 days ago. And to change every 3 months?

Triggerjay

As far as flow in the tank I have a 75 gal D.A.S. and my return pump is 650 g/h. And I have 3 smaller pumps placed around the tank. One placed low under the return and the other 2 placed on the opposite side blowing back to the return. I never make my heads blow straight. I position my heads to blow against rocks and other sides of the tank so i get a swirling effect.

DAS (Dutch Aquarium Systems) Tanks ROCK

Jason