Votes: 8 11.6%
  • i did but no longer

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • i pet my cat or dog instead

Votes: 29 42.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Basile

I've been meaning to ask this question for a while now, but i waited till i knew enough. I've seen the videos, the pictures and comment about people petting their fish. From what i've red putting your hands in a tank is a risk both ways.You can catch somethings and the fish can be stressed and other elements can be brought to them and spell their demise.

So the question stand , is petting your fish a good idea.

Basile

I personally voted no , because when ever i feed and ding or dong nip at my finger, slime is taken from them and it can't be good , they loose protection against deseases i think. That my take on it. Anybody feel the same or different.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It's not a good idea but I know many people do it all the time. You're potentially introducing something into their "Closed" environment that can harm them in addition to potentially introducing something into your BODY (either via bite/sting or open wound) that could harm you.

Ultimately it's your call because it your tank but remember Mother Nature takes care of her own and sometimes that's not to OUR benefit :)

Basile

It's not a good idea but I know many people do it all the time. You're potentially introducing something into their "Closed" environment that can harm them in addition to potentially introducing something into your BODY (either via bite/sting or open wound) that could harm you.

Ultimately it's your call because it your tank but remember Mother Nature takes care of her own and sometimes that's not to OUR benefit :)

I couldn't of said it better!Actually i did say that but with a different format lol, but the last bit is so thrue.

I rather pet my cat he's fluffy, soft, warm, still, i spent more money on the fishes than on Basile which i adore and embrasses all the time. I guess we're all fascinated by them or we wouldn't do what we do. The miracle of life we seek i guess. I'm spending too much time in the zen garden these days i think lol.

seafansar

Oh I pet my tenneti tang all the time! lol. Well at least when company is over. He doesn't seem to mind and I really don't think I'm hurting him. I mean I can't exactly force him to let me pet him and I barely touch him. Plus I put my hands in my tank so often, not introducing something bad or whatnot is an impossible task for me. I just make sure my hands/arms are relatively clean before doing so.

BTW, I like petting my cats better! Little fur balls!

acemow

I normally use gloves that I keep washed and air dry them. I do put my hand in tank, always wash well before and after, my right hand and forearm are very dry because since I got tank, I stopped using lotion on that area of my arm...oh well, small price to pay

sneaks03

I think it is bad for them because of the reasons Al and Basile stated. But that is not to say if a fish looks dead I would not put my hand in there an nudge him/her. Washed in R/O water of course and washed after I am done.

jcgardner

I voted no as I don't pet my fish. I do on the rare occassion let my son hold the tuxedo urchin, thought is his favorite critter in the aquarium. I think it causes to much stress to touch the fish. I try to keep my hands out of the aquarium as much as possible.

sneaks03

If I wanted to I am sure my clowns would let me. Every time I am in the tank they are swimming around my arm being curious. Once the female rubbed up against it like a cat.

bandr1002

the only benefit i see to being able to pet them.... if you ever need to catch one, they trust you enough to. other than that i don't see the benifit at all.

seafansar

the only benefit i see to being able to pet them.... if you ever need to catch one, they trust you enough to. other than that i don't see the benifit at all.

That is very true. Any fish that will let me pet them, I can catch very easily. They tend to be the more aggressive ones about food and such, so they don't think much about going into a trap with food in it.

LadyAqua

The only thing in my tank that I "pet" per say is my cleaner shrimp. As soon as my hand goes in he seeks me out like a missile and jumps on and starts "cleaning" me. I think its cute, his name is "Kitty". :bouncer:

LPS_Blasto

Fish have a natural slime coat on their body to protect against outside disease and parasites.

Rubbing their body with something unnatural (your finger or hand) removes that slime coat and exposes them to disease.

I say no. Pet your dog or cat. Pet your lizard. Pet your snake or spider. But please don't pet your fish. :snrkl:

Basile

Fish have a natural slime coat on their body to protect against outside disease and parasites.

Rubbing their body with something unnatural (your finger or hand) removes that slime coat and exposes them to disease.

I say no. Pet your dog or cat. Pet your lizard. Pet your snake or spider. But please don't pet your fish. :snrkl:

That why i did that thread i see to many petting and then they wonder why the fish get sick suddenly.

Bigpapa

I have a large naso that likes to eat dried seeweed from my fingers then I leave my hand in as he swims carefully around. It seems to get both him and I comfortable with each other-now he comes to one end of the tank when he sees me enter the room and follows me across the tank till I reach in with it.
On the other hand, I have had freshwater mollies from berth and when I put my hand in there tank, they will actually rest in the cup of my hand.

I dont recommend touching as I also am aware of the slime and other issues but I also like to interact and with the naso-about 10" so he has large tail spikes- I think it is benificial for him to feel comfortable with me like that-if he startles it would cause major havoc in the tank.

Well I for one would never pet a fish in my tank, and i do use gloves when i do have to put my hands in the tank for some reason. But as far as petting your fish is ok, well if thats what you want to do then do, even though allot of people in this thread gives reason why you shouldn't.

If you had a FO or a FOWLR and the 3 most beautiful fish in that tank is a Lionfish, Scorpionfish, and a morey eel (sorry if I mispelled morey), would you want to stick your hand in the tank with gloves or no gloves to pet them?