Petco selling aptasia?

BigJay

I was at petco the other day getting my new sump tank and I saw they were selling Aptasia. I couldn't believe it. I think it was $6.99 or something like that. My daughter was dragging me around so I couldn't snap a pic but has anyone else seen this?

naperenterprise

Yeah I see that alot... Ever try talking to the petco fish person about it... You'll love that experience.

They make it out to be some exotic anemone rock...lol

Drives me crazy! We should start a thread about crazy pet store stories...

Shermy

They do it here at our local one in San Diego. When I asked about it, I felt like it was the stereotypical real estate agent claiming 200 sq ft as a "cozy" abode speech.

But look at the clear color! It is beautiful, it will match with anything!

Intranick

what..the..f***

I'd like to see their reaction if i lie to them and tell them I plan on having a species only aquarium just for them :p

lcstorc

Much as I hate to say it, I doubt they even know what they are selling. Generally the employees are given minimal training and really only know what the main office tells them.
It's sad to see but just shows what can happen if you do not research before you buy.

rdvab

I have seen that as well as Mojano(pest anemones ) as rare and unusual for sale.However if kept contained to a refugium ,out of site,thes guys are a good filter just as a turf scrubber.

lcstorc

I agree that they are good filter feeders but left to grow it is inevitable that they will move from the fuge to the reef. Been there. Done that.
I guess it is a choice you have to make.

bluespotjawfish

Wel now, don't be too hasty in calling them bad names. On a local board someone wanted to buy them. He raises stuff that only eats them! Of course he found a generous "free" supply.

prow

so anyone thinking of setting up a propagation tank for these exotic treasures?? did the LFS guys tell you what the best lighting is for them???

SJS

Sooo, I should quit trying to eradicate these "exotic anemones"??? Darn!! I just blasted a couple dozen with aiptasia x yesterday, should have left them and then when the entire tank is covered (in a month or so!) sold it to Petco for a fortune!! Wonder if they sell Joe's Juice and the like, how do you explain to the customers why there is stuff to eradicate these valuable things!! Sadly, I'm not surprised...

prow

now that would be a great sale, huh? the customer leaves the store with a rock full of aiptasia in one hand and a bottle of joe's in the other. lol, that should get the salesperson a parking spot for a month......lol

reef dummy

After years of professionally raising and breeding aptasia, I will allow you rookies to see my technique.

Salinity: 1.037-1.050
Ph: 4
Temp: 92
Trates: 100
light: flashlight
Flow: PPHHH

I went to a petco and they had a powder tang that had ich. It looked like it hadn't been fed in months that is so sickening. They also had a few perculas that were half sick and most had ich one even had a google eye thing on it. I can't even believe their still in bussiness!