Percs hosting condylactis!

Jova

Alright... I just picked up 2 percula clowns and a condylactis/haitian anemone last week, and the clowns are now hosting the condylactis. From what I've heard, this is very rare, but as far as I'm concerned, it's pretty cool. Has anyone else seen this before? Is this more common than what I've been led to believe? I'll try to get some pics up, I've taken several, but right now I'm just too tired to attempt to figure out how to post them here. Anyways, later on folks...

lcstorc

From what I have read this is very unusual. I know my maroon never even looked at my condy. In fact she stayed on the other side of the tank when the condy was there.

Jova

Got the picture to proove it:)

101_0106_Small_.JPG

kimm

just came across this as i am looking for more info on the sebea anemones' and my mouth hit the floor when i read this. 2 days ago a lfs told me that condy's will eat a clownfish, so this is amazing to me!

vdituri

It looks alot like a really bleached sebae anemone.
I only say that because of the purple tips.
I'm no expert though, by any stretch of the imagination.:smirk:

SubRosa

Tentacles are way too long to be a sebae definitely a condy.Some people have all the luck!

i had a small black and white clown host in a condy, then my urchin decited to tear the condy into little bits....:away:

revhard05

i have a small perc and a condy that i introduced at the same time but he/she wont host, so i think im going to trade in the condy at the lfs store. What anomone is most likely to accept the fish and not eat him???

Witfull

i wouldnt call it luck. if i did, then i would be saying others could get lucky. its a freak occurence and can happen. but when it is possible when the condy is well acclimated to the tank and/or clown has weakened slime coating. clown may be eaten.

i do not reccomend getting condies and hope they host a fish (yes the anemone is the host, clowns are hosted) [sorry terminology thing with me~]

read this if you are interested in true hosting anemones.

http://www.carlosreef.com/AnemoneFAQ.pdf

lcstorc

Bubble tips are the most forgiving. They are also common hosts for a variety of clowns. I wouldn't try a carpet. They are rather difficult and get very large.
Don't keep any anemone unless you have the lights and the water quality for it. They need lots of light and very clean water in an established tank.

tinken

:snshne: i guess its the instict of hosting is just too much for the clown fish.and decided to host the condy.is there any anemone in the tank?lack of selection can be a factor also maybe.but then again i heard it happen before.so i guess if its happen to others it can happen to jova.

Kazzy

Just out of curiousity, what lighting do you have and how old is your tank?
Also, I would watch the clowns carefully. When I had a condy(I was tricked into buying it by a LFS-long story) my maroon beat it to death in frustration because it wouldn't host her.

revhard05

well ive got some bad news, the condi ate the perc, and this morning it just spit him out i guess he figured out the percs dont taste that good, i am definatly trading him

InLimbo87

well ive got some bad news, the condi ate the perc, and this morning it just spit him out i guess he figured out the percs dont taste that good, i am definatly trading him

Thats a shame... Sorry to hear :(

I've never liked Condy anenomes and have always encouraged people to look into the other hosting species of anenomes. Hope everything works out for ya.

revhard05

the reason i bought the condy is because it was the pretiest ive ever seen, what is weird is that it has
been feed good (the Anemone) but it has proved its self, any body in the chattanooga tn area need a condi??

Jova

After being away from this site for over two years, I'm re-visiting my old post tonight:) For all of those who were wondering, and may still be around... The condy hosted the percs with no problem for over a year, until one night I came home and the condy was no where to be seen, but I found chunks of anemone all over the tank. I figure that it must have gotten into one of the powerheads and was destroyed. But there were never any problems with the hosting, the fish seemed to love it, and they are now having an affair with a large long tentacle anemone that I've had for the past year or so.