Peppermint Shrimp - Aiptasia

Angel Fin

So...I have 2 large cleaner shrimp & I think a couple of peppermint shrimp would be a good choice to control my aiptasia in the tank......how have they worked for you guys in a reef tank?
(Community fish & soft corals & hermits in tank)

GrendelPrime

peppermints are hit and miss with aptasia i know from personal exp i had 1 peppermint that would only eat the small ones and the other 1 wouldent eat them at all and others put in peppermints and the aptasia got decimated, what size tank is this for?

Angel Fin

My tank is 65 Gal. Went to the LPS but they only had one in stock...so I bought it. Released it into the tank toward bottom & near refuge into the rock. My six line wrasse immed. attacked it & I thought maybe it might not survive. Haven't seen it since but no sign of any shrimp debris.......phew!!!....hopefully I will see it again!!! Will have a look at night & see if it is visible!!

mro2you2

when adding anything you might think will cause a problem its best to turn off the lights and then add. In a peppermint shrimp's case I would do the same but add it to the back of the tank.

ALreefer

One peppermint worked for me. They are pretty cheap and shrimp are cool anyways, although I see my peppermint maybe once a week. Very reclusive animal.

xspeedrj

I have used them on three occassions. Everytime they came through.

This time I took out the big aiptasia with Aiptasia X.

The Peppermint took out the little ones and the ones on the underside of rocks, etc. Places I couldn't get at easily.

Angel Fin

Great you guys!!! Still have not seen him again but will practice your advice on turning the lights off for sketchy additions. Will try to pick up a couple more when they are available.
Bought myself a 60 ml. catheter tip syringe & extracted 1 large aiptasia with it by a quick plunge into the center of the animal & maximum negative pressure on the plunger...... sucked it up into the syringe intact.....also sucked in surrounding water hopefully catching any filaments which may have been released .....& then we have our little newcomer to clean up the small ones!

ChrisOaty

I grabbed a piece of live rock from a friend's tank which had some tiny aptasia. He had a peppermint shrimp in his tank that wouldn't touch the little scoundrels. I added one to my tank because I found that my piece of rock from his tank had tiny aptasia growing on it. Within a week I noticed it was all gone. I think he overfeeds his tank though, which may have something to do with his shrimp being more picky than mine.

Angel Fin

Thanks again for the encouragement.........the aiptasia is not a big problem at the present. I've had a couple in there for some time but lately I have found that they have been spreading. Trying to nip the problem in the bud so to speak......we'll see how my little "Pep" does.
Have one red legged hermit.....will try to pick up a couple more! They are apparently useful for this purpose as well!!
I am probably a bit of an overfeeder as well!!

TylerHaworth

I bought two when I had a small outbreak of Aiptasia... One died the next day, and three days later the lone survivor had completely rid my tank of even a hint of Aiptasia...

Peps are cheap, no maintenance, and fun! Even if they don't end up eating the pest, they are a great way to add diversity to your tank!

In my old tank the aptasia was going out of control( 50+). I bought 5 peppermints online, 4 arrived alive and within a week they had taken care of every single aptasia.
I know people say its hit or miss, but in my case I couldn't have asked for anything more.

GrendelPrime

another thing u could try is if u have a q tank set up is put the peppermints in the q tank with aptasia rock and just wait to see if they eat the aptasia..this way theres nothing else to eat but the aptasia

I added a fairly large peppermint shrimp to my tank once, then I remembered I have an arc eye hawk fish. The little guy escaped the arc eye, but he never comes out of the rock work. And the ape's still run wild.

Does anyone have a problem with there flame hawkfish and there shrimp i read that this is hit or miss need to know what u think cuz i like have the pep shrimp to take care of the aptasia problem but dont want the shrimps to become a delicacy

Angel Fin

Well mro2you2, by your standards I certainly do overfeed as I do so daily! Perhaps that will be the downfall of the peppermint eating aiptasia!?
It's been a week now & I still have not seen it again......watching the aiptasias to see any change but not noting any as yet. But the pep may not feel safe enough to come out of the rockwork yet!

Angel Fin

I run a very simple system with no sump, refugium or quarantine tank. I feed daily......probably overfeed, esp by mro2you2 standards.
Cutting back on the feeds some.......will watch & see!!!!!
Thanks so much for everyone's input!!!!