Pegging Live Rock Questions

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I have been looking at the rock pegging club thread and I like to look of the columns and different designs.
So how is this done? I understand using acrylic rod or pvc to connect the rocks but do you epoxy the rods in place on each rock to hold them or is it simply run it up through all rocks? How do you attach the zip ties?

I can't watch the videos and there is little in the form of pics and details that I could find. Lots of pictures of final products just not the process.

So I ask you guys/girls if you can supply detailed pics and information, I have plenty of rock to choose from to make a large column for my 65 hex and I already have an idea sketched out.

Thanks for the help :)

Eric

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
If you can get on a Pc or your phone is fast enough there are tons of step by step videos.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've pegged a LOT of rock!

Do you glue or not? That depends on the exact application (gravity holding it down etc), the rock itself (lock together well?), and your preference.

Some of my columns are epoxied but the "Rock Tree" is not. The rock are all drilled and plugged but you can rotate the rock around the "Shaft".

Also on some of my "Peggings" I made a base and drilled the peg into that and epoxied it. The base was made from large FLAT rock and are hidden under the sand. This way they are all free standing individually.

Hope that helps some.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
It does, what type of epoxy do you use?

I am planning on doing the tree method but I want to peg some smaller pieces on the main section that would need to be glued in place and possible zip tied :)

So you have an idea, my plan, is to build a base out of 1/2 pvc it will be 4 legs about 3" tall with a post in the center, I have a larger rock that is flat on one side and looks like a huge english muffin on the other " lots of nooks and craneys" lol I want to drill the center and drop it down own the post resting on the legs then stack from there up.

As I stack up I would like to extend some rocks out from the column so these will need to be pegged and glued into place.

That's the plan anyways sometimes easier said than done.

rgfast

I've been trying to find a wedsite that I'd looked at it showed them using plastic theaded rod and arcylic sheet for base they drilled an tap it what was cool they used the plastic nuts for spacing