pearl oysters

GlassMunky

Not sure if i put this in the right forum, but if not, feel free to move it mods. Anyway, i was just wondering if anyone had any experiance with keeping pearl oysters in a tank? what do these animals require to thrive? if they can in a tank....

Oysters like nitrates and are filter feeders, I would assume to treat them like you would a clam...good luck with them, let me know how it turns out.

GlassMunky

I dont have one. Just am starting to research what they would need to survive and produce a pearl. I'm not looking to get rich, just interested in the process.
Anyone know the lighting requirements?

I just researched it a bit and I'm thinking unless you have a massive amount of water it probably won't be easy. All the articles I read say it's very hard to keep them alive (food requirements and so on)

BUTTTTT I think it's still possible somehow. Just not 100% sure how...

Smokey301

i dont think oysters rely on light a whole lot, more of a filter feeder so you might be able to keep it, I'm a little interested too now. I'll get back to you after some more research but maybe if you set up culture's of the suspension they feed on and do a slow drip or something like w/ seahorses or jellyfish, or live on the shore and plumb some ocean water

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I have seen some people put them in their tanks over the year with little to no success, I will offer my thoughts but no very little on this subject, I believe they do deplete the water column of food very fast and starve, for some reason I think they need cooler water and do not fair well in a tropical tank but all this could be wrong it's an opinion I have formed over the years doesn't make it true.

GlassMunky

lol, bring back the thread from 6 months ago lol. From the reasearch that i did, you are right eric, they do need cooler water and filter feed extreamly quick. probably not the best inhabitant for a tank........

Smokey301

yea i believe they feed more around the low to mid 50's and looks like they do go through plankton pretty quick, i kno they arent the same as pearl oysters but i live about 30min from the chesapeake bay, might have to get a couple smaller live oysters and try something in one of my extra 10 gal when it starts to warm up, I've actually been lookin into getting into the oyster farming game, they have alot of grants set up in my area and i def. need some extra income

Cicca

yea i believe they feed more around the low to mid 50's and looks like they do go through plankton pretty quick, i kno they arent the same as pearl oysters but i live about 30min from the chesapeake bay, might have to get a couple smaller live oysters and try something in one of my extra 10 gal when it starts to warm up, I've actually been lookin into getting into the oyster farming game, they have alot of grants set up in my area and i def. need some extra income

Smokey, did you find out anything? I live in the same area you do and I'm just looking at getting into the farming game.
Let me know!
Thanks,
~C~

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Oysters are filter feeders. They like high plankton count water. In most home aquaria, they'll filter the water and starve. I've seen them used as disposable filters to handle algae blooms in a couple of tanks. Takes 3-4 oysters a week to filter all the algae out of a 100g tank, and without target feeding, they will starve very quickly. They like nitrates because nitrates are food for their food. The parameters considered ideal in most home SW aquariums are not suitable for them.

Want them to filter your tank to improve water quality, they can do that quickly. Want to keep them long term, not easy. Want to keep them for 10 years and have them make you a few pearls, Not going to happen. There is a reason cultured pearl sellers use leases offshore. The water params they need to thrive are just not easy to setup and keep right in a home aquarium. Not worth the effort imho, but hey if you wana try it, go for it. Just dont count on them living more than a year at most, with target feedings.

even in the tanks where they were used as filters for algae bloom, they werent in the DT, because they couldnt get enough flow. They were placed in the Sump.

shmulikhazin

This includes biological aquarium
You can not

Fitoflnktonim can contribute oysters
in aquarium

Last edited:

Oliver D

I have one for over a year,its doing great and has even grown a few millimetres .Its a local one from where i live.

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
Very cool concept and I tried them in the past (using gulf oysters). These are very challenging as they thrive in low salinity dirty water.

I could get them to stay alive for about 3 months consistently before they starve to death. These guys consume very small amounts of food over a long period of time every day, and since my feedings only happen for about 5-10 minutes a couple times a day, that simply wasn't enough. They need constant food throughout the day, and that just isn't practice in an aquarium like I had them in.

-Jeff

Oliver D

What I have is a Gulf pearl oyster Pinctada Radiate it survives in high salinity like here in the gulf and also high temps and dirty water.I think if your water is stable and you feed your fish normally these pearl oyster will survive and even grow in a normal reef tank.

Oliver D

What if phytoplankton
And once a week to remove a large amount of phytoplankton
My advice to you add about 5 litres off natural sea water to your tank every week or two this will supply enough phtoplankton for them ,depending where you life if on the Med coast add less as the water is more dirty and the phyto is more concentrated if in Eilat add more as there is less phyto.