Paul's New tank: Fluval Sea Reef M90, 135L -

I have decided to leave lights off and keep testing for another week and if water is good will buy cuc as tAnk will have cycled for 28 days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

throw a shrimp in. the dead, tasty, kind

Edit:

no need for water changes now. You want bacteria to be growing, and they will grow faster with more ammonia and nitrite in the tank.

Skim away; it will help break in the skimmer

Dont waste the electricity on lights. Plus you won't be providing light for the algae to grow this way

I wouldn't put any water clearing agent in. it's unnatural and the water will clear just fine without it. Filter floss will take care of the rest

Since starting the cycle I have already used 2 shrimps (at different times) and still no spike in ammonia so now coming to conclusion that will miss 1st 2 stages.

Don't plan to complete 1st water change until cycle is complete and just before cuc are introduced.

Already have filter floss and tank is beginning to clear, since turning lights off.

PS the tank is gorgeous

Thanks

Really please with it as looks good and a great starter tank as an all in one. What I like is that the sump, at back, is very accessible and has 4 compartments and is not cramped at all. The only thing I so 't like is the circulation pump as too big and is. Quite noisy.

Would recommend tank!

WHAT's that in the tank - a hitchhiker!!

I turned on the light this morning and a pink plant had popped up and was swaying in the flow but after about 5 secs it had disappeared back into the rock and has not come out all day. Does anyone know what it is?

Hope it's not bad for tank as would hate to have to take it out

wscttwolfe

i'm no expert, but kinda looks like a majano (bad).

If not, some kind of ugly paly (imo, also bad, likely to spread fast, google palytoxin)

i'm no expert, but kinda looks like a majano (bad).

If not, some kind of ugly paly (imo, also bad, likely to spread fast, google palytoxin)

Ouch, was not expecting that.

Have looked up and looks like it could be either Majano, could it be aiptasia?

I googled palytoxin and that sounds dangerous.

Joe's juice sounds like an option or I could take rock out and try and pull out but not sure if that would work?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Day 27

An eventful week!!

Having identified the above as a majano I took the rock out and boiled it for 10 mins, in the garden so not exposed to any toxins that may have been released, and after leaving the rock in shed overnight the rock has since been put back into the tank and I have seen no sign of our unwelcome guest. What is bizarre is that small parts of the rock have turned red and glow in the dark, under the blue light.

Also decided to use clear FX pro ahead of the introduction of cuc and after 4 days HGA has subsided and water perimeters are still stable, have still not had a spike in either Ammonia or Nitrite!

Off to LFS tomorrow to pick out cuc!!

Day 28 - introduction of cuc

Did a water test this morning -

Ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 15
pH - 8.1
Salt 1.024
Temp 78.4

As stable and all ok I purchased the following -

Bumblebee snail -

Fighting conch - wasn't planning to buy this but once I saw how it hovers up I had to buy it

2 turbo snails - LFS threw one in free!

2 x red leg hermit crabs

And finally I also bought a red fire shrimp, I know it's not a cuc but the deep red colour is fantastic

Going to feed them once a day and see how it goes for a week and then add another 3 to 4 snails but also looking out for something different.

Day 39 - changes to tank

Since last update I have purchased first corals 7 days ago and both are doing great whilst the tank is maturing nicely with stable water although Nitrates are between 15 and 20, is this too high? I have completed my first water change after 28 days but do not plan another until day 49 with a 10% change and then weekly.

Purchased 2 softies and they are great

Xenia - has grown loads and has branched out, luv the way it pulsates, mesmerising!!

Zoa - Radioactive dragoneye, glows in the dark as the name suggests

Planning next coral purchase in a couple of weeks as want to see how these 2 adjust to life in a new tank. Already have my eye on a Sympodium and a green torch, both frags from a local reefer.

No fish yet but will buy a pair of common clowns (tank bred) in about 7 to 10 days along with a couple more snails

Happy days!!

Also upgraded my powerhead from the stock Fluval to a Jaboa RW4 and really pleased with the purchase as it has good flow, very quiet and a good price. Tried using 2 but too powerful and kicked loads of sand up. Before buying this model I tried -

Jeboa WP25 - a good pump but far too powerful for a 29G tank

Vortech MP10 - a great wave maker with 10 different modes but was just too noisy, motor on outside, so had to go.

Fire shrimp is doing well and looking great, hides out in a cave most of time but when he comes out it's worth a look.

9ea061f9e158c7bef3a52d8e293a72cb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk