Paul's New tank: Fluval Sea Reef M90, 135L -

After much research and viewing I decided to take the plunge and purchase the above tank.

It was between the Fluval and RSM C130 and I chose the Fluvel for it's better length dimension as opposed to the cube looking RSM (personal preference as I know RSM has a big following). The lighting via LED (as standard) was much better than the T5's hence my choice and seeing both together in LFS sold it to me!!

I also wanted to buy an entry level tank that I will not need to upgrade parts and spec, if I luv this hobby then I will upgrade to a 250 litre tank in a year or so.

Day 1

First pictures

Still in very early stages and using a 50g RO machine to mix my own saltwater, must admit taking longer than I thought but as I have read patience is key and also very hard to follow.

Just put Live rock in overnight to stop drying out and will landscape once tank is filled.

Will post more photos over forthcoming days

Day 2 has come to an end, tank now set up and running and I have attached latest pics

This aquascaping is harder than I thought, spent ages and decided to leave it there and see what tomorrow brings.

Took a couple of close ups of live rock as I cannot believe how they have started to colour and grow in such a short time. I have one piece of flat rock that was colourless yesterday but is now beginning to turn purple.

New tank - Day 3

I have read through a number of threads and spotted my first school boy error, last night I started the skimmer and later read the link below -

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...something-cycling-breaking-new-reef-tank.html

I have now turned off my skimmer and will cycle using the above guide.

I also realised that I did not buy any start up sponges, carbon or other filtration other than polyfine fleece. I have put in a couple of strips of polyfine and the LFS will send me some start up sponges (poly foam, coarse and a nitrate sponge). I don't plan to put anything else in until I start skimmer and put in some carbon and a refugium at that time.

What do you think, right way to go, would be good to get some advice?

Lights are off and circulator pump is on along with pump and heater.

Tested water and have the following results

NH4 = 0
NO2 = 0
N03 = 1
Water = 1.022

I also need to get a thermometer and thinking of getting a digital reader, can anyone recommend one?

Thanks for your help.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
You can run the skimmer during the cycle and you might just want to. This will give the skimmer a chance to break in.

You can run the skimmer during the cycle and you might just want to. This will give the skimmer a chance to break in.

Good idea although the noise was driving my wife nuts yesterday, not a good sound.

I need to spend some time setting it up and looking at few threads and videos for some tips as I am sure I can get it to run quieter whilst it breaks in. I will run at night only for a few days and see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Paul Taylor

Good idea although the noise was driving my wife nuts yesterday, not a good sound.

I have the Fluval M60 and yep, the skimmer is by far the noisiest thing in the whole set up. Just make sure it's firmly attached and the cup/lid is fitted snuggly, this reduces the noise (a bit but not much). My wife hasn't complained but then she loves the two Clownfish we have in the tank now, too much to complain... :eek:lsmile:

I have the Fluval M60 and yep, the skimmer is by far the noisiest thing in the whole set up. Just make sure it's firmly attached and the cup/lid is fitted snuggly, this reduces the noise (a bit but not much). My wife hasn't complained but then she loves the two Clownfish we have in the tank now, too much to complain... :eek:lsmile:

My wife is looking forward to seeing clown fish too but not convinced this will solve the noise. I we need to adjust skimmer otherwise I will be looking to buy the Innovative Marin ghost skimmer which is supposed to be very quiet and effective. Other than that tank is great.

Big Pete

Hi Fishpalace

good luck with the new tank, dont worry about about aquascaping, i bet you 10 bucks you rearrange a dozen times before you are happy with it, at least that hat happened to me!!!

keep the pics coming.

Cheers and the best of luck

Big Pete

Hi Fishpalace

good luck with the new tank, dont worry about about aquascaping, i bet you 10 bucks you rearrange a dozen times before you are happy with it, at least that hat happened to me!!!

keep the pics coming.

Cheers and the best of luck

Big Pete

Thanks

A very awkward moment as I would change however my wife and youngest have arranged and luv it! Over time we might change it but for now no change.

Great having whole family involved and kids luv it so can live with it.

The good thing is loads of places to put corals, swim through for fish and places for cuc and others to hide.

Great fun and excitement is high although they cannot believe it will be 4 weeks until we put fish in, can feel the pressure building, lol.

Thanks for post!!

I thought i would share my experience of LFS as when I bought tank they quoted that filtration was included but when I got home there was none.

When I checked online no filtration was included in standard spec however I have spoken to them and they have despatched -

x1 course sponge
x1 poly white sponge
x1 nitrax sponge
x1 fine sponge.

Fair play as they could have easily said Fluval do not ship with filtration but instead they have sent free of charge.

There advice was impartial on the day when they could have sold me a more expensive tank and have put something right too.

I am based in Uk and LfS is Charterhouse Aquatics based in London and have an amazing showroom too.

Always easy to slate poor experience but not always easy to praise good. I know where I will be going for advice and buy!

New tank - day 4

Popped to LFS today to buy some filtration and bought

a digital thermometer with a probe,
clear FX pro and
filter floss.

Apparently this is all I need, checked water and had following readings -

NH04 - 0
No2 - 0
No3 - 5
Salt - 1.023
Temp 26.3C, 79f

i put a prawn in tank last night and it has now broken up but not seen a spike in ammonia which is frustrating but just need to be patient!!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
What kind of test kits are you using? Also, was your live rock cured or uncured?

My tank is now 2 weeks old and not a lot has happened although I have made a few mistakes.

After day 4 I started the skimmer and added clear fx pro which I now understand would slow the process down, oops. I have since turned skimmer off and taken clear fx out. Started to run light for 8 hours day and 8 hours night to accelerate process and now have brown algae growing and possibly started HGA too.

I am still waiting for cycle to kick in as no signs of Ammonia or Nitites but Nitrates are @ 8. Temp is constantly at 79 and salt @ 1.025.

Spoke to LFS and looked at threads online and I might have skipped first 2 stages as I have cured LR and live sand too.

Have increased flow by investing in a Vortech MP10, a cool piece of kit.

Going to keep on testing and sit tight for next 2 weeks.

I was frustrated at first but if I have skipped first 2 stages then tank is maturing nicely, I hope.

Day 19 of tank cycle

Been running with lights on for past 9 days for 8 hours day and 8 hours blue light.

Diatoms are appearing and GHA started to appear, has grown quickly during past 48 hours and water is not as clear as it was a week ago, see 2 pics below -

Checked water today and still no spike in start of cycle -

NH04 - 0
No2 -0
No3 - 15
PH - 8
PPO4 - 0
Salt 1.025
Temo 26.1/79

I could still get a spike in Ammonia and & Nitrate but been to LFS where I bought tank and they believe the first 2 stages have either been skipped or occurred very quickly. Interesting as LFS said I could put clear FX pro into tank to help clear water and that this would not effect cycle.

Skimmer is off and considering running tank without, if I could manage 2 water changes per week although 135L maybe too big to achieve this but will wait and see.

Now need to consider if I should continue with lights, reduce or turn off as want to slow rate of GHA growth.

Plan to test water every other day until Saturday week and if OK then start with cuc as tank would have been cycled for 1 month.

wscttwolfe

throw a shrimp in. the dead, tasty, kind

Edit:

no need for water changes now. You want bacteria to be growing, and they will grow faster with more ammonia and nitrite in the tank.

Skim away; it will help break in the skimmer

Dont waste the electricity on lights. Plus you won't be providing light for the algae to grow this way

I wouldn't put any water clearing agent in. it's unnatural and the water will clear just fine without it. Filter floss will take care of the rest