Patrick's RSM C-250

Pat24601

Very nice Pat - what are the top 2 please?

Yellow Fiji Leather Coral
Diver's DenDFS Grape Coral
Diver's DenDFS Reverse Superman Montipora Coral
Diver's DenORA® Pearl Bubble Coral

The yellow leather I've been trying to add for a year, but I never see it at my LFS or on Divers Den, so I'm taking a chance and ordering it from their normal facility. My luck with that is very hit or miss as it seems they often send the grade B specimens when it's not Divers Den. But, we will see. It was on sale, so if I don't like it, I'll give it away.

The grape coral is a Euphyllia. I'm going to use it to plug kind of an empty spot between my torch and frogspawn I'm reluctant to put anything else in. I think. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+321+3182&pcatid=3182

DaveR11

Yellow Fiji Leather Coral
Diver's DenDFS Grape Coral
Diver's DenDFS Reverse Superman Montipora Coral
Diver's DenORA® Pearl Bubble Coral

The yellow leather I've been trying to add for a year, but I never see it at my LFS or on Divers Den, so I'm taking a chance and ordering it from their normal facility. My luck with that is very hit or miss as it seems they often send the grade B specimens when it's not Divers Den. But, we will see. It was on sale, so if I don't like it, I'll give it away.

The grape coral is a Euphyllia. I'm going to use it to plug kind of an empty spot between my torch and frogspawn I'm reluctant to put anything else in. I think. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+321+3182&pcatid=3182

Cheers Pat. The leather coral looks superb in the photo as does the Euphyllia. I've never seen anything quite like either of those here in the UK. I hope the corals you get look like their photographs! I look forward to seeing your Euphyllia garden.

Best wishes,

Dave

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Nice new additions Pat! :) Don't worry about the leather not being too vertical as they have a fleshy body, so if he's unhappy with that angle I'm sure it'll adjust itself up a little more :) Just keep an eye out and you'll be sweet :)
Tank is looking good though :D

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Nice additions Pat :yeehoo:....the yellow leather is very large looking already. Mine started out real small. Let's see another picture of it in a few days when it opens up fully. Looks NICE now but will be even more amazing all fuzzed out. :thumber2:

Pat24601

So, this was kind of good. I haven't actually tested my water in forever (6 months? More?) as my maintenance habits have basically gone badly downhill.

So, today I broke down and tested having no idea what I would find.

My salinity was 1.026.
My alkalinity was 9.0 dkh.
My calcium was 432

That's nearly exactly what I would target.

So, it's good to know my random dosing for the last several months appears to keep me where I want to be.

Last edited:

Roy Page

So, this was kind of good. I haven't actually tested my water in forever (6 months? More?) as my maintenance habits have basically gone badly downhill.

So, today I broke down and tested having no idea what I would find.

My salinity was 1.026.
My alkalinity was 9.0 dish.
My calcium was 432

That's nearly exactly what I would target.

So, it's good to know my random dosing for the last several months appears to keep me where I want to be.
Hey Pat, you are a man after my own heart.
More or less given up weekly testing except for salinity which I do every week as I do my weekly 10% water change.

My maintenance regime is pretty simple.
- Clean the glass every couple of days.
- Top up the ATO water reservoir twice a week.
- Do a 10% Water Change once a week.
- Empty the skimmer cup at the same time as I do the water change.
- Rinse the Black Sponges every month and swap out one of the four media bags.

If the fish and corals are looking fine, I am fine as well .... lol
I am trying to keep maintenance on our bit of reef simple and not a chore.

Desmond

Very good pat all looks good there. If I am honest I have been a bit lazy of late myself. I have watched my corals grow and thrive so figured it must be good not to annoy myself if the numbers are not where I want them . This new salt I am using is really good and I have noticed such a huge improvement in colour and growth in the corals. I will test at the weekend to see how I am. Need to get a good p04 tester. I am thinking hanna checker ☺

Sent from my SM-G870F using Tapatalk

Pat24601

Hey Pat, you are a man after my own heart.
More or less given up weekly testing except for salinity which I do every week as I do my weekly 10% water change.

My maintenance regime is pretty simple.
- Clean the glass every couple of days.
- Top up the ATO water reservoir twice a week.
- Do a 10% Water Change once a week.
- Empty the skimmer cup at the same time as I do the water change.
- Rinse the Black Sponges every month and swap out one of the four media bags.

If the fish and corals are looking fine, I am fine as well .... lol
I am trying to keep maintenance on our bit of reef simple and not a chore.

Very good pat all looks good there. If I am honest I have been a bit lazy of late myself. I have watched my corals grow and thrive so figured it must be good not to annoy myself if the numbers are not where I want them . This new salt I am using is really good and I have noticed such a huge improvement in colour and growth in the corals. I will test at the weekend to see how I am. Need to get a good p04 tester. I am thinking hanna checker ☺

Sent from my SM-G870F using Tapatalk

Roy and Desmond,

Glad to see we all have the same basic attitude and it is working well for all of us!

BTW, I love the Hanna Checker for phosphate. The only decent hobby level phosphate checker as far as I'm concerned. Getting a digital readout easily rather than a shade of blue hard is huge.

That said, I really never check for phosphate anymore. I figure if I have an algae problem then I have a phosphate problem. If I don't have an algae problem, what do I care what my phosphate is? So, I just look for algae instead of testing. :)

Last edited:

Pat24601

We said 100 times..... there is no better test kit than observing your corals and a good overview of the tank. Corals will tell you immediately when something is not going well.

Nice to hear that both tanks are going well.

Cheers
Daniel

Very true!

Desmond

I have salifert phos tester and it is useless being honest thats why i gave up on it. As you said alage is something to watch for and i dont have that issue and the small amount that i will always have is taken care of by my turbos :)