Particles in water

nwfd98

So i really cant seem to get clear water. I am running CPE in the rear and the fine floss filter but i have lots of stuff floating in the water.. Any suggestions..

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
How old is your tank? What equipment are u using?

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

nwfd98

the tank is young 2 weeks young. I know i know people are going to say its way way to early for fish but i did get fully cured rock so that makes a big difference. It did cycle confirmed with to batches of dead prawns. Zero ammonia Zero Nitrites. Its a stock rsm 250 just got rid of the stock carbon and am using Chemi Pure Elite since it get great reviews buy everyone on the site. I just spent some time watching the tank and it every once in a while there will be a squirt of white stuff from one of the rocks that clouds up the tank. Anyway fish are happy and the clean up crew is chowing down.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Good luck buddy. Cured or not ur cycle is not even close to done. I wish u n ur tank the very best. Keep us informed.

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

ho02ody

I have same issue, but my tank is 2 months old! I'm running out of patience with it! If it was a little bit then I wouldn't mind but it's a lot of particles! I run and clean out the fine filter floss every other day.
I did use super fine aragonite sand which is probably where the issue lies, too much flow and too finer sand, anybody else have this issue?
My next step would be to siphon all that live sand out and replace it with slightly larger sand. But this is a huge task I don't wish to do if I can help it.
Regards
Dan

Willie McDaries

my tank is going on 3 years old and I still have some particles in the water,as said above,I believe with the fine sand and strong water flow,it is just something you have to live with...

if there is a way for you to use a canister filter,you could remove most of it....I have 1 of these I used to use Marineland Deluxe Magnum 350 Canister Filter I used the pleated polishing filter and it did an amazing job at polishing the water,but it is an everyday maintenance job,the filter stops up quickly and needs replaced almost daily,which is why I stopped using it...I'm lazy :lol:

keep in mind though,if you use this type of filtration,you'll also be removing beneficial stuff as well,it is a micron filter which removes the tiniest of particles :D

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I did use super fine aragonite sand which is probably where the issue lies, too much flow and too finer sand, anybody else have this issue?

I read post like this pretty frequently with sugar size sand ... any sand sifting fish will really keep to fine of sand stirred up too

If it helps... this chart has sand sizes

CaribSea Arag-Alive | Special Grade Reef Sand | Indo Pacific Black | Fiji Pink | Bahamas Oolite | West Caribbean Reef | Florida Crushed Coral | Bimini Pink

Mine is small size 1.0 mm to 2.0 mm and works great

New tanks will settle over time & on the RSM pointing the left nozzle up & to the right a bit will help, along with adding corals to the sand bed and cleaning the fine filter regularly

In a two week old tank, with new rock & sand this is pretty normal too... your white squirts - are most likely your snails spawning...

Sy101

My tank is now 1 year old and I have found the particles have got better with time, i must admit I make them worse by constantly doing some sort of maintenance!
I've found that I can't really see them while looking at the overflow gate as this is covered with coralline algae, so I'm now in the process of letting the rest of the back wall turn purple therefore making the particles harder to see!

ho02ody

Hmm sounds as if I might have to change to a slightly larger substrate to get rid of this! 3 years is a long time!! Thanks for all advice, I do have all the jets pointing away from sand, the flow doesn't whip the sand up in any spots but I think it also doesn't let the particles settle anywhere! Plus I do have a pistol shrimp called pistol pete. I couldn't resist getting one but he is one hell of a grafter digging away under my rocks all the time lol. Good fun to see him in action but I'm sure he is personally responsible for 80% of the floating debris lol.
Regards
Dan

pocketreef

It tends to improve with time. Changing anything during the nitrogen cycle will make it more painful.
Enjoy the tank.