paraguard vs formalin

JMMG

i am just setting up my emergency medical kit for fishes and i am having trouble finding formalin. The other day i was searching my LFS shelves and came across this med called Paraguard from Seachem i was reading the label and it says it can replace formalin. is it true that Paraguard from Seachem can replace formalin? thanks

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Good question. I threw a bottle in on an order one day as a safety product but I'm not sure where I'd use it!

JMMG

Good question. I threw a bottle in on an order one day as a safety product but I'm not sure where I'd use it!
i hope it can replace formalin because i cant find it here. i am a chemist and i think i can make it at work but it is better and safe to buy it outside.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Ask a friendly Pharmacist or a vet. THey can get it for you. If you explain what you need it for, and that you know the risks of handling it/disposing of extra.

leebca

just to be clear, the two products do not treat the same parasites or illnesses. However in general since formalin does have a shelf life, it is probably best obtained when needed. If you have an interest in acquiring an Anemonefishes, just lay in a supply of Formalin in ahead of time.

kmaintl

just to be clear, the two products do not treat the same parasites or illnesses. However in general since formalin does have a shelf life, it is probably best obtained when needed. If you have an interest in acquiring an Anemonefishes, just lay in a supply of Formalin in ahead of time.

+1 agree

leebca

The lack of clarity on the product indicates they are not sure, either. It will kill off a small set of parasites, some of which the makers are not even aware of. Since hobbyists rarely identify the exact kind of parasite they are dealing with, this information becomes useless to some extent.

JMMG

thanks lee