paint for tank

Snelly40

hey guys, im gonna paint the back outside of my tank black (hide the wires and make the overflow not stand out as much) is there a best paint for this since it will be applied to glass?

panmanmatt

Krylon Fusion paint seems to be the latest craze. I haven't used it personally but a lot of folks are using it both inside and outside of their tanks.

craig7220

I used a semi gloss latex. At first I tried to brush it on.. didn't work so well. the brush strokes really stood out.. Then used a roller and it worked good.. Also best to have the surface to be painted laying horizontal... otherwise the paint will run and separate leaving cracks.

2455coop

i used to breed bettas. So i had to prep a lot of tanks.The best way to paint the tank ( i am assuming it's glass) is to take fine wet/dry sandpaper and lightly sand the surface to be painted. Roughing it up helps the paint to stick. I then would tape off what i didn't want painted and used spray paint. Flat paint is soft and hi-gloss is has a harder finish. Having said that I prefer an eggshell finish. It's harder than flat but not to glossy. I would do at least 2 coats. And use an acrlyc.

Latex has a tendency to peel. Espcially if it gets bumped or scratched

I

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
i used to breed bettas. So i had to prep a lot of tanks.The best way to paint the tank ( i am assuming it's glass) is to take fine wet/dry sandpaper and lightly sand the surface to be painted. Roughing it up helps the paint to stick. I then would tape off what i didn't want painted and used spray paint. Flat paint is soft and hi-gloss is has a harder finish. Having said that I prefer an eggshell finish. It's harder than flat but not to glossy. I would do at least 2 coats. And use an acrlyc.

Latex has a tendency to peel. Espcially if it gets bumped or scratched

I

Acrylic is latex. Unless you're talking commercial automotive grade paint (which I assume we are not) the two terms are almost synonymous. Here is a quote from a guide to paint chemistry...
Acrylic resin in trade coatings is a waterborne latex. Acrylic is used almost
exclusively for exterior paint coatings. Acrylic paint is a very flexible and
weather-resistant paint for exterior use. There are oil base acrylics used in
the automotive industry but they are by permit only and not readily available to the every day painter or the DIY painter.

I hope this helps and I don't mean it to be-little anyone. Just trying to pass some facts along.

Allen :)

rDr4g0n

i taped up my tank and used black spray paint. about one can was enough. teh finished products looks very high quality, but well have to see how it stands up over time.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Hey... I'm hunting WHITE GLOSS MARINE paint to touch up the inside of my stand doors.

Where can I get some??

jck9

you can use krylon fusion for thing inside the tank? i want to paint my overflow but dont know if im able too