Pablo's New Red Sea Reefer 450

pablomay28

Currently having issues with my vetex omega 130 cant seem to get it to stop overflowing might have to go back to the reef octopus. I thought it would run better in this system being that it is bigger than my RSM 250 yet it has the same problems.

pablomay28

Ok so the problem with the skimmer was due to the new RSR 450 filter socks. I had to modify all my filter socks to fit the RSR 450. Once my old clean filter socks got put in skimmer went to work. Really love this tank chiller has not had to turn on all day compared to the RSM 250 4-6 times a day.

pablomay28

image.jpg
Left- Eheim 3000 return pump. BRS GFO reactor with MJ1200.
Middle- Vertex 130 skimmer, Taam rio 2100 pump for the chiller, DIY media basket with purigen, chemi pure elite.
Right- tunze ato and modified filter socks. I have the 3 gal RSR ATO being replenished from an external 5 gal jug.

pablomay28

Quick update. My Vertex Omega 130 stopped skimming. Guess my bio load is not big enough for it to skim appropriately. I am currently running my Reef Octopus 110 INT and ASM Mini G side by side. Though the Mini G is rated for tanks 75-80 gallons it is doing fine as well as the Reef Octopus. I am going to wait and see what skimmer works best in the tank and Ill leave it until I get more fish and increase the bio load on my RSR 450.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Curious. I have the RSR 450, I have two clownfish in the tank + half the cuc and a couple corals on Marco's rock (not live). I added a bag of pods recently. My Vertex Omega 150 is pulling TONS of skim and it's super dark! I don't know why yours, with a much heavier bioload than mine, is not pulling anything out.

Then again... I'm still going through ugly tank syndrome. Hmm....

pablomay28

I have tried so hard to get it to work since it looks so nice but it stops skimming all the time and when it does skim it is very light. Just did a tes and all my parameters are spot on. Seems only the reef octopus works in my tank it pulls very light skim

pablomay28

I've been considering these lights for a few weeks, and I think you may have just sold me on them.

And I'm considering stealing your DIY media basket idea. :yup:

Get the lights. They are very nice and easy to set. I got rid of the media basket an put the chemipure, and purigen in with the filter socks

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
I have tried so hard to get it to work since it looks so nice but it stops skimming all the time and when it does skim it is very light. Just did a tes and all my parameters are spot on. Seems only the reef octopus works in my tank it pulls very light skim

It took me two weeks of letting mine run without much skim before it really started to work correctly. Plus, I had to mess with the height a few times before I found the sweet spot.

Kman237

Pablomay28, it's looking really good!!! I'll be following your thread! Congrats on the Reefer tank!!!!